Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I thought when I bought this car it just had a bad radio, I knew I was gonna change it so I didnt think to much about it. BUUUT after I switched the radio out of my impreza( I checked to make sure it worked before I removed it)

when I turned both radios on, they come on like nothings wrong. The face plates light up it takes and loads cds, wonderfully. however there is no sound. no crackle, no static, nothing.

Am I missing something?

I should clarify the original radio was a stock subaru radio, and i changed it out for an aftermarket kenwoord headunit?

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,122 Posts
there does seem to be a rash of bad speakers reported lately including at least one post where ALL the speakers were bad. seems crazy but, maybe worth checking if you're confident the kenwood is wired in correctly.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
What year and model of car and model of the Kenwood? If it's an older Subaru that still uses common ground and you try a newer radio could lead you into problems. It is possible that the previous owner just let the speakers die one by one, or the harness has a break in the speaker bundle.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay got an update for this.

i pulled the kenwood out of my outback(2004) and plugged it in to my fiance's outback(2000) bothe the kenwood and the radio that came out of mine worked fine. so believe ive isolated my issue down to my 2004. im still geing all the proper lights lighting up and i scroll through the setting on the kenwood but no audio...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 97 outback and the stock stereo worked great, never had a problem, and then the next time I use the day the radio doesn't put out any sound. The unit lights up, everything appears to work fine (illumination, tuner, pre-set channels, CD, Cassette) but no sound. I put in another stock stereo unit (thinking mine must be bad) and still no sound. Pulled the central console to check ground, door panels to check speaker connectors, looking for a short, and found nothing.

Any advice? Is there an external amp on an Outback this old?
Is there more than one fuse? I've traced the schematic but can't find the cause. What am I overlooking?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check your speakers according to that thread, which is mine. All four speakers on my car had problems. Do this first before trying anything else. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Radio works but no sound

Thanks for replying - this issue is driving me crazy, having the stereo working is key to making the car drive better. - I'll get a multi-meter and a spare 6hm speaker - and then update the thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts