Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all from rainy Texas,
I have looked up and down for a few weeks now trying to figure out whats going on with my radio/sound system as a whole, I hate being that guy who just repeats a thread that exist in a million other places. The display on the headunit works fine, so does the air con. but no sound, it pops once when I first turn it on then nothing. I took the unit out the other night to see if there was any thing obvious. I checked all fuses as well and everything seems fine. From what ive gathered in research the headunit is fried and I need a new one. Is this most likely the case? If anyone has any input with a fix or the best and most cost effective place to purchase a new one it would be greatly appreciated. The price of $660 new just sounds painful. I should add I want to keep the stock unit, I think no matter how the install is done, aftermarket just never looks right.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,406 Posts
was the cd working?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,406 Posts
you might shop around at crutchfield.com and see what's available, might be some cool upgrades.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
You can most certainly find a used one from LKQ. Probably less than $100.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
1,079 Posts
Elaborate more on the CD not working.
Will it accept the disc, show on the display that it is reading, advance through tracks if you want?
If yes to the above then your output IC is shot.
At the 1:50 mark in this video it will show you what failed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Head unit functions as if everything is working normal. Accepts CD's fine, changed through radio stations, Inputs. Simply no sound. I occasionally hear continued white noise at a VERY low volume come through the speakers even with radio off, will sustain for maybe 30 seconds then go away.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Slight update. After scratching my head and trying to convince myself that the headunit was outputting sound one day and not the next, I remembered I had what appeared to be an after market sub cable in the car. Is it possibly the previous owner pulled out a sub set up I didn't know about and somehow this is causing an issue?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So after not having sound for a while and trying to stomach the ~$650 price tag of a new factory radio I have talked myself into considering going aftermarket. I have had a hard time finding a housing for a double din ( or single din for that matter) radio. I have the dual digital climate control. I did find some for the legacy GT though. Considering these cars are super similar, will that housing work? Also what is needed to hook up my stock aux cable plug? I enjoy being able to plug in my iPod and forget about it in the center console.

·
Registered
18,999 Posts
After scratching my head and trying to convince myself that the headunit was outputting sound one day and not the next, I remembered I had what appeared to be an after market sub cable in the car.
Have the door speakers been checked? There's no shortage of posts here about the radio sound working one day and not the next that were due to bad speakers. Sometimes they fail individually over time, but it's not really noticed until the last one gives up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts