Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The radio, map lights, dome light, and clock went out on my 2005 Outback. After replacing fuses the clock and lights came back on and a CD ejected from radio, but the radio still doesn’t work...no power.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Fuses don't usually randomly fail, so there's likely an underlying cause. First, off there are two fuses for the radio, and they may need to be inserted in the right order for the radio's microprocessor to wake up happy. Experiment with that.

Being a gen 3, I suspect you have the infamous broken wires in one of the two boots between the body and the rear hatch. The radio supplies power to the antenna preamp through the boot. A short there would explain the fuse going. It's possible that a short in the boot damaged circuit traces inside the radio. There are many threads about the wires in the hatch boots.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the wire reconnected, but still no power. I realize the hatch wire connects to the antenna providing reception, but does it provide the power as well?

·
Registered
16,401 Posts
The radio, map lights, dome light, and clock went out on my 2005 Outback. After replacing fuses the clock and lights came back on and a CD ejected from radio, but the radio still doesn’t work...no power.
I notice you mention "fuses", so more than one was replaced. All the fuses are identified by number on pages 12-6 to 12-9 of your Owners Manual. Can you list the fuses that were replaced. Did that include fuse #24, 15 Amps, in the cabin fuse panel?

Is anything else not working?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I notice you mention "fuses", so more than one was replaced. All the fuses are identified by number on pages 12-6 to 12-9 of your Owners Manual. Can you list the fuses that were replaced. Did that include fuse #24, 15 Amps, in the cabin fuse panel?

Is anything else not working?
I replaced #8 in the engine panel and #24 inside the cabin panel. Everything else is working.

·
Registered
16,401 Posts
I replaced #8 in the engine panel and #24 inside the cabin panel. Everything else is working.
That's odd.

Were both fuses blown? Any idea why? (E.g., were you working on the car at the time?)

Which model radio; the single CD player or the one with the 6-CD changer/player?

"Radio not working" meaning nothing at all on the display, and no sound out of the speakers? Or is it just no sound out of the speakers? (Noting that " a CD ejected from radio" when the fuses were replaced so there was some power to the radio.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's odd.

Were both fuses blown? Any idea why? (E.g., were you working on the car at the time?)

Which model radio; the single CD player or the one with the 6-CD changer/player?

"Radio not working" meaning nothing at all on the display, and no sound out of the speakers? Or is it just no sound out of the speakers? (Noting that " a CD ejected from radio" when the fuses were replaced so there was some power to the radio.)
I changed both fuses suspecting they were the cause to my problem. It is the single CD player. Like mentioned above, I believe the broke hatch wire tripped the fuse(s). The reception was a bit bad prior to losing radio power. The CD ejected automatically and then nothing...no power.

·
Registered
16,401 Posts
I changed both fuses suspecting they were the cause to my problem. It is the single CD player. Like mentioned above, I believe the broke hatch wire tripped the fuse(s). The reception was a bit bad prior to losing radio power. The CD ejected automatically and then nothing...no power.
Does the multi-information display work, i.e., display fuel use, outside temperature, elapsed time etc?

Does the keyless entry (remote control lock/unlock) work?

Do the step lights (lower rear corner of the front doors) work when the door is open even if the ignition switch is Off?

If all these work as they should, then the power sources for the radio are intact. The problem with the radio is probably isolated to wiring to it or the radio itself.

Did the radio work right up until the time the dome light and clock went out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everything Works (map lights, clock/display, cigarette lighter, side interior door lights) except the radio. No power. To review, prior to outage, radio reception was poor. After losing radio (and map lights etc), I instinctively replaced the fuses...once doing so, everything came back on except radio (CD also ejected). I also had hatch wires reconnected (not sure if done successfully), but as someone mentioned above...doesn’t provide power to radio Anyway.

·
Registered
16,401 Posts
If everything else powered by the two fuses that were changed earlier works properly, then then power sources for the radio, which are the same two, must be good. The problem, then, could be in the wiring between the fuses and the radio or in the radio itself.

When the ignition switch is turned from Off to ACC and then ON (engine not started), does the radio display come on with any indication at all?

When the ignition is at ON, and the headlight switch is turned to the first (parking lights) or second (headlights) setting, do the lights in the radio controls (volume, preset stations, etc) come on? (This is independent of whether or not the radio itself is turned on.)

Was your car subject to the front passenger side airbag recall, and was that work done? If so, when, in relation to you noticing the radio not working well? (Replacement of the airbag usually requires the dash to be disassembled, including removing the radio and HVAC control panel. It's possible the harness connector at the back of the radio wasn't properly re-installed.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts