Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i Ltd and 2011 Outback 3.6 Ltd
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2005 Outback 2.5i Ltd which came with the radio with the 6 disc in-dash CD. I can't find any info on the radio like amplifer power and speaker power, etc. Anyone know where I can find this info? Also, anyone have suggestions for upgrading the sound system without soending big bucks? TIA

·
Registered
2007 outback MT
135 Posts
I own a 2000 outback and i beleive my generation is the last where u can really swap out the stereo. The new ones have the stereo and climate control built together. I doubt any aftermarket company will come out with anything that will allow you to modify this, and if they do it will certainly not be for a long time.
So since you cannot swap the stereo that means that any aftermarket amplifier other than subaru's is most likely out of the question. So basically the only option left is to swap out the speakers. However the ones you have in there are probably decent quality, and not worth the fuss of changing.

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
i respectfully disagree on you being stuck with factory amp and spkrs even if you're stuck with factory front end. i personally like the factory front end for readability of controls, reliability, and discouragement of thieves. who wants to bust into a car to steal factory radio? and i think if they see that in dash, they won't be lookin as hard elsewhere for signs of subwoofer housing or amps under seats.

factory spkrs wd have to be pretty good to be comparable to good aftermkt stuff. i have yet to see many that are. problem on installing spkrs on most recent-gen Subs in twofold: limited rear clearance in many cases and fact that factory spkrs use a weird 3-hole mounting system instead of the near-universal 4-hole mounting. Acura does this too but not sure if their stuff fits (they have an optional Bose system which is fairly decent) since it looks like the Acura ones have holes unequally spaced around rim and i think the Sub's holes are equally spaced. there is an outfit callled Innovative Automotive which makes reasonably adapters for Subs, Minis, and Audis to mount aftermkt spkrs with no driilling. their web site also has charts of what spkrs will fit at leasdt the Imprezas. not sure if they have any data/kits for new OB yet, but might be worth giving them a call or email. they also make bracket to mount afdtermkt tweeters in stock locations.

as far as amp, what you need is converter to reduce the speaker level outputs from the front end to a low-distortion preamp-level signal so you can hook front end to amp with preamp-level-only inputs. there are a lot of amps that take speaker level inputs but i think you'll get cleaner sound from converter route. both Scosche and audiolink make these. Crutchfield has latter, former can be found via ebay and mebbe Circuit Chitty. you'll probably need 1 for front spkrs and 1 for rears as the ones i've seen are only 2 channel.

on how to do it cheap, think ebay and if you're worried abt used stuff, include "new" or "NIB" in your search string. for $2-300 you can assemble system that will about kick your butt out of the car even using the factory front end, and for $6-800, you can put together the System of the Gods. use search term "component speakers" to find the really good stuff with separate woofers, tweeters and crossovers.

bw

1 - 4 of 4 Posts