Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon ladies and gents,

New to the board, in fact, new to Subaru.

Finally switched from 20 years of VW ownership. Can't be happier.

Anyhow I purchased a 2013 OB 3.6 limited last Thursday(no Nav). After driving the car for a few days I have noticed that while listening to XM, volume at 9-10, I get an occasional static. It sounds like the radio gets a brief shock. Anyhow, I took it back to the dealership but they are unable to replicate the issue. The dealerships suggestion was to phone XM and have them send a refresh signal. Tried that but the problem persist.

Having spent some time reading the board I have noticed other with a humming issue but nothing like mine.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any feed back.

By the way because of you all I've already began purchasing after market stuff much to my wife's dismay.

Thanks JP

·
Registered
683 Posts
Afternoon ladies and gents,

New to the board, in fact, new to Subaru.

Finally switched from 20 years of VW ownership. Can't be happier.

Anyhow I purchased a 2013 OB 3.6 limited last Thursday(no Nav). After driving the car for a few days I have noticed that while listening to XM, volume at 9-10, I get an occasional static. It sounds like the radio gets a brief shock. Anyhow, I took it back to the dealership but they are unable to replicate the issue. The dealerships suggestion was to phone XM and have them send a refresh signal. Tried that but the problem persist.

Having spent some time reading the board I have noticed other with a humming issue but nothing like mine.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any feed back.

By the way because of you all I've already began purchasing after market stuff much to my wife's dismay.

Thanks JP
Does XM radio play okay and then momentairly produce white noise and you lose all audio (except for the white noise)?

If so, are you going past a large building or a big group of trees?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in south Florida so the trees and buildings aren't the issue. I used to have a portable xm unit in my previous vehicle so I am familiar with what you just described.
This noise is more like a very brief static or shock.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I thought I was going crazy.... Noticed mine making noise from drivers dash area. Dealership unable/unwilling to help- I drove with them and pointed out noise, but they said they "couldnt hear it." Is this what yours sounds like? about 13 sec is where you hear it. This is driving with ac/radio all off, phone never connected or set up.

Static or ??? 2013 outback - YouTube

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty **** close.

I have an appointment to install some items next week and I have already alerted them to the problem. So far I only get the static on XM. I tortured myself with FM radio for the better part of an hour but heard nothing.

Any suggestion anyone?

Im going to see if I can find the AMP and hope there is a loose cable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Pretty **** close.

I have an appointment to install some items next week and I have already alerted them to the problem. So far I only get the static on XM. I tortured myself with FM radio for the better part of an hour but heard nothing.

Any suggestion anyone?

Im going to see if I can find the AMP and hope there is a loose cable.

Mine occurs with all electronics off... Im considering an attempt to pull the trim out and take a look at the radio.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I posted on another thread, but I seriously have this issue only when I have a blackberry in the car. I dont know if its when the BB gets an email or not. I know it sounds dumb though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I posted on another thread, but I seriously have this issue only when I have a blackberry in the car. I dont know if its when the BB gets an email or not. I know it sounds dumb though.
With my old VW radio when my iphone switched between EDGE and 3G I would get radio static. This, for me, is different. I just sounds like a brief shock to the radio. The music doesn't stop you just hear the noise.

·
Registered
38 Posts
nothing at all

They ignored me...Said they couldnt hear it- even when I heard it with them driving around with me.

·
Banned
23 Posts
I get something similar on satellite. If I use the aux input on my iphone it has so much static I can't listen to it. The usb input freezes after about 10 minutes. I personally think the electronics in these cars suck big time, but that isn't what I bought it for anyhow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same problem

2012 limited with HK and no nav. I have just started hearing what sounds like a shock to the system static. I think it is only on satellite. I will listen to iPod and fm more to verify. I will go to the dealer later this week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
finally!

I thought I was going crazy.... Noticed mine making noise from drivers dash area. Dealership unable/unwilling to help- I drove with them and pointed out noise, but they said they "couldnt hear it." Is this what yours sounds like? about 13 sec is where you hear it. This is driving with ac/radio all off, phone never connected or set up.

Static or ??? 2013 outback - YouTube
This happens to me too since I bought the car new in June 2012. Took it to them twice and they say can't replicate it so can't address it. Happens when everything (radio, GPS, AC etc) is OFF. randomly too. Even my kids noticed. Sometimes it is louder and longer than other times.

Only one person there hinted that someone else had complained about same issue. What is it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine occurs with all electronics off... Im considering an attempt to pull the trim out and take a look at the radio.
Happening to me - radio off - anyone have a real solution or has Suburu just ignored the issue???
Happens to me too with everything off. they couldn't replicate it so wouldn't address it. Any updates? It still happens and it drives me nuts!

·
Registered
750 Posts
This sounds like RF interference from a cell phone sitting in a dash cubby. If you have a cell phone in the car, try placing it in a different location, or turn it off, and see if the noise stops. My bet is it will stop.

Some phones tend to induce interference into audio wires and circuitry in close proximity to them. GSM phones (ATT, T Mobile) are notorious for this. CDMA phones (Verizon, Sprint) don't seem to do this, since they use an entirely different modulation scheme. All cell phones transmit periodically to maintain contact with the cell tower, even when they are not in use.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
10 Participants
Radar
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing