Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Im new here but have been browsing through the forums since i bought my 2000 Outback Limited. I love the car and have been reading about the antenna and antenna amplifier but cant seem to figure out what is going on in my car. Its an aftermarket deck and I am assuming the antenna amplifier is hooked up since i do get radio stations. here is the weird part, i get perfect reception up to 99.9 on the dial. Anything in the 100 range and its hit or miss, sometimes its good reception and sometimes there is nothing at all or just static. I am pretty sure i found the box in the back. I do see that the bottom right plug in does not have a wire on it. The coax looking wires are hooked up as well as what appears to be a permanent wire on the right side. The box has another coax type port with nothing connected to it. My question is, would each port be a different amount of frequencies for the antenna or does my setup sound correct? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since my 2 main stations are 103.1 and 105.5. Thank you

·
Registered
16,290 Posts
I doubt there would be different ports for different frequencies.

Does your 2000 has the amplifier in the left rear quarter, with the antenna embedded in the left rear window glass?

If so, I believe the attached diagram shows what the connections to the amplifier should look like.

Also, check the antenna traces in the window very closely. It's not uncommon for one or more to have small breaks. This would reduce the effectiveness of the antenna. There are inexpensive kits available to repair the traces (also used for window defroster elements).

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes thats mine but i actually have one more wire connected than that diagram shows. hmmmm

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
as i understand it , and my understanding is limited, the after market stereos do not power the antenna amplifier. there is a wire on the harness behinds the radio that will correct your problem if you put 12v to it. you probably want it to be a switched 12v not a always on 12v. maybe check the voltage at the amp.

BUT, that does not explain the reception in the lower frequencies. maybe the power wire going to the ant. amp is not 12v. and the lower power limits the reception.

mine works great in town, but get 10 - 15 miles away and boom, no radio. it is a real pain on the hiway. thank goodness for ipods, and usb drives.

·
Premium Member
11,881 Posts
You may want to make sure the cable that runs to the antenna amp is actually connected to the radio. In factory installation, a short cable runs from the head unit towards the driver side, connects to the main cable just about at the carpet line by the center console which crosses under the driver front carpet, over to the kickpanel, up the "A" pillar and along the roof rail to the amplifier. You can pull the kickpanel off and you will see the thin cable tied to the yellow harness which powers the SRS system. Or, you can pull back the carpet close to the center console about where the "grill" area of the plastic is and you may see it there.

I had a similar issue trying to figure out what was wrong with the McIntosh system. Turned out the head unit was bad and I redid the whole sound system. But that's how I found the disconnected antenna cable. Its just long enough for connection with a factory head unit. Some aftermarkets don't have the antenna connection on their unit close enough to the driver side for the short cable to reach the main cable.

My new Clarion fit. Clarion makes McIntosh.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Make sure the antenna is up. That's an easy thing to overlook.

Also make sure the aftermarket radio is set to US, and not Europe or Asia.
There may be a little switch on the rear / side of the radio, or it may in the setup menu. Not all unit have this, but it may be worth checking into.

Ryan

·
Registered
431 Posts
make sure your blue/white cable for remote/power antenna from HU is connected to the power antenna wire on the aftermarket harness adapter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
babiker712
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing