Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-
I just purchased a 2018 outback- 2nd week of ownership, and the radio and voice commands just stopped working- was listening one minute and then no sound. Then the screen wouldn't turn off ( using manual on/off button) and the steering wheel controls for the screen stopped working as well. Then when I got home- turned off the car and locked the door- the screen stayed on- has been on for 2 hours now. Any suggestions on how to get it to reset? Will disconnect the battery for the evening- but is there anything else I can do? So frustrated! Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
'18 Outback 2.5i Touring
63 Posts
There's a major update from SOA for the '18 HK head-unit - solves lots of issues. It does require a dealer update as they re-flash the system. I've had it for a week or so and it hasn't exhibited the litany of problems that I had prior to the update. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Similar issue on 2017 outback 2.5i premium

Found the stereo running on the turned off car this morning. Infotainment system's display wouldn't turn off when engine is off and the key is out of the ignition. Also, parking brake light (the red one on the handle) would stay on and the a/c display would stay lit up.

Pulled fuses #4 (audio/nav) and #9 (acc) and put them back, that seemed to have solved the issue, so I happily left car be only to find the battery dead in the evening :) Apparently the bug returned sometime during the day and quickly drained the battery to the point of not having enough power to start up the engine.

So finally I pulled the #4 fuse again and left it out, jump started the car, let it run for an hour, will see if it works in the morning.

Scheduled an appointment with the dealership for the next Wednesday, will see if the can find anything.

·
Registered
2016 OB Limited Eyesight 2.5i
136 Posts
The fact that this issue has not been resolved (HU update has not solved problems for some) is a major check mark against Subaru for me. It is one thing for Carplay to be failing or presets to be disappearing. But when your car's electronics are killing the battery unless you disconnect it that is another. For a known problem (months to a year?) they have either not adequately TRIED to fix it or have failed in that trying. Another check mark against Subaru are the dealerships, our warranty support network, saying they have no knowledge of this problem. Maybe only a few. Not sure but more than one is really disappointing. Before I saw how common this was, I was ready to buy an '18 Limited. No longer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The problem is back! I took my car to the the dealership on Dec 27th, they couldn't find anything and sent me back. Today, almost 2 months later I turned my car off and the display stayed lit, music kept playing. Same problem. Pulled both fuses again (#4, #9), debating whether to disconnect the battery. Here is the video: youtube.com/watch?v=ICbU6AHnlgQ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, disconnected the battery, waited a minute, reconnected the battery - the A/C (temperature, clock, etc) display was still lit up even though the ACC fuse (#9) that controls it was out! But after I put the #9 fuse *back*, the A/C display turned *off* and things went back to normal! I don't know much about car electrical systems, but it almost looks like there is a short somewhere that makes it go around the ACC (#9) fuse?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts