Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,382 Posts
Nope.

Plenty of threads here on that.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
I suspect Subaru engineers expect most owners are like me. Been driving 50 years and can't recall ever turning the radio off before exiting a car. Also fully expect the radio to be on when starting the vehicle.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
Thanks. I searched. I thought it was operator error, not engineered error.
moved thread to gen5,

there is a solution,

trade it for a older car.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Premium 2.5i, Twilight Blue and Titanium Gray
41 Posts
I suspect Subaru engineers expect most owners are like me. Been driving 50 years and can't recall ever turning the radio off before exiting a car. Also fully expect the radio to be on when starting the vehicle.
I've been driving for 40 years and I don't ever listen to the radio.

Hard to understand why both types of drivers can't be accommodated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
well, I ask myself why they did not apply a logic like
* when turning off the vehicle, the radio was on --> at next ignition on, leave the radio on
* when turning off the vehicle, the radio was off --> at next ignition on, leave the radio off

Reactions: johnnyarma

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts
I'm thinking that having the radio on by default is for the use of the backup camera. Some yahoo would probably sue Subaru if they backed into something and blamed the car for not displaying the backup camera when they purposely turned off the head unit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm thinking that having the radio on by default is for the use of the backup camera. Some yahoo would probably sue Subaru if they backed into something and blamed the car for not displaying the backup camera when they purposely turned off the head unit.

Don’t think so. I have a Toyota Auris (Corolla for the rest of the world) and, at ignition on, the multimedia unit turns on, but the audio, if was off at ignition off, remains off.
Then yes, when I turn the car on and put in reverse, it takes about 3s in order to have the camera image.

·
Premium Member
2018 2.5i Limited; "Wanderlust II"
512 Posts
There is no such thing as turning the radio off.... the best you can do is turn the volume all the way down. (like an old-timey radio with switch in the knob)
Press the left knob in for 2-3 seconds; the radio will switch off and stay off. That's how it works in my '18 Limited, at any rate (HK w/nav system).

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,728 Posts

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,870 Posts
Press the left knob in for 2-3 seconds; the radio will switch off and stay off. That's how it works in my '18 Limited, at any rate (HK w/nav system).
I have the 'base' model. Pushing the button for 2-3 seconds only turns off the DISPLAY... I still have to turn the volume all the way down to silence the music. (in the background the radio is still operating.... it NEVER turns off.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts