Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2008 OBW, and have broken wires in the hatch opening. All the wires going to the passenger side were torn, 3 were broken. Fixed that. Going to the driver side, all of my radio wires were cut as well, including the antenna feed, which has a tiny wire in a transparent insulator and a bigger, woven metal wire over it. Those are both broken. Silly Subaru, must be the same person who thought a CV boot near the hot exhaust was a good idea.

My question is, how do I fix this wire within a wire? I can't figure it out. Any insight? I wanted to avoid paying $60 for a new set of wires if I could fix it myself.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,582 Posts
I can't offer much;

1. dig around at opposedforces.com , might show the coax cable and a part number - if you're lucky, it's available separately and just runs from the amplifier to the hatch. maybe use the old cable to snake the new one through.

2. maybe Crutchfield.com has some 'generic' coax in the right length ?

3. contact user @botenredwolf for info? (he's an experienced audio guy)

·
Premium Member
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,300 Posts
The antenna cable is simply coax. http://parts-express.com may have per-foot lengths, but you'll need a way to join them or terminate and make your own, but they'll have all that, too, if you're feeling adventurous.

Reactions: KentuckyOutback

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,048 Posts
I kind of remember people in the 2005-2009 having specific problems with antennas.
@plain OM @rasterman ...might recall such discussion.

Reactions: KentuckyOutback

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
5,023 Posts
It's a common coaxial cable. What I've done in situations like this is to solder the center wire, cover it in either heat shrink tubing or electrical tape.
Solder the shield wire and cover it with tin foil, then cover with heat shrink tubing or electrical tape.
If you skip the tin foil, you run the risk of radio interference.

Reactions: plain OM

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions! I'll look into reusing my existing plugs an crimping a new coax cable on there.

I'm really liking this place, lots of people with great knowledge, thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts