Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback 2.5 base model
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a 2001 Subaru outback and it has a after market radio installed already. Every time I turn the car off the radio resets to demo mode. The Yahweh who installed it chopped off the plugs and poorly spliced together the wires.....HELP...??????

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
839 Posts
The YELLOW wire going into the aftermarket is the radio CONSTANT power wire.
The RED wire going into the back of the radio is SWITCHED power with the IGN key.
If power is interrupted from the YELLOW wire then all memory is lost, (clock, presets), it will act as if you were just hooking it up for the first time when you turn key. Demo mode is the result.
I suspect the YELLOW constant is hooked into a switched source.

Reactions: miker104

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the yellow wire from the radio is connected to the yellow wire from the car. i dont have a multi meter to test the power. what wire should the yellow radio wire connect to..

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
If you don't have a meter I would suggest visiting a specialty shop (not a Best Buy) to get them to install it properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so after looking at the link......+12 Volt Memory Blue / Red goes to Yellow

·
Registered
839 Posts
At least confirm with a test light. About $5 at an auto parts store.
Or an inexpensive Digital Multi Meter like Craftsman 034-82141 for $8.
I've had that same meter for the last 9 years and it's just fine.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
I always use a Metra connector to connect the wires from the new unit to it so I can just plug the Metra connector into the car connector. Costs about $10 or less and makes it much easier to either put the OEM unit back in or to install another aftermarket radio. The link I posted helped me figure out why I had crappy radio reception. I didn't connect the Blue Power Antenna wire because I didn't have a power antenna. On my car with the antenna in the window that line was used to power a signal booster. Radio works much better with that wire connected!

·
Registered
839 Posts
I always use a Metra connector to connect the wires from the new unit to it so I can just plug the Metra connector into the car connector. Costs about $10 or less and makes it much easier to either put the OEM unit back in or to install another aftermarket radio. The link I posted helped me figure out why I had crappy radio reception. I didn't connect the Blue Power Antenna wire because I didn't have a power antenna. On my car with the antenna in the window that line was used to power a signal booster. Radio works much better with that wire connected!

Someone already cut off his cars radio plug.

·
Registered
839 Posts
This wiring chart/pinout for Subaru will help you. Subaru Legacy / Outback / Baja radio harness pin-out
Often overlooked is speaker polarity. It is imperative that the speakers are in phase. Out of phase will have one speaker moving in one direction while the other is moving in the opposite, cancelling each other out. Sure it will play but will never sound good.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
This wiring chart/pinout for Subaru will help you. Subaru Legacy / Outback / Baja radio harness pin-out
Often overlooked is speaker polarity. It is imperative that the speakers are in phase. Out of phase will have one speaker moving in one direction while the other is moving in the opposite, cancelling each other out. Sure it will play but will never sound good.
If you follow the wiring chart (see post #5) it shows polarity for each speaker, generally the solid color wire is the + and the same color wire with a black stripe is the - .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts