Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2k outback, feels like a new car with out the bulls**t that goes with one.
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My `08 came w/rainx latitudes all around. They seem like nice wipers. I'd like to know if any one has seen replacement blades that you install yourself instead of throwing the whole thing away. I mean just the part that touches the glass.

Throwing them away makes me think of The Story of Stuff. If you don't know what that is google it please. It's had millions of hits and it is really the story of US.

Ron

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,126 Posts
I have bought refills for the 08 STI style blades I put on my 06 WRX. Fred Beans sells them.

But, it is difficult to find refills. maybe try Amazon?

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I buy Valeo wipers at TireRack for many years now....best wiper blades ever! I think even Amazon now sells them....

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited 2.5L H4 5MT Regatta Red Pearl w/ lift and audio system
1,255 Posts
Yea, I agree with you. One of the first things I did on my car was replace the wipers with some Bosch Icons, and chuck the stock metal ones. Wish I didn't. I mean, the Boschs work perfectly, great, super silent, super effective. But after replacing the wiper blades on my mom's car with Trico refills, they ALSO work perfectly for $8. It would have been cheaper and more environmentally friendly for me to get refills for my car. As far as I can see one piece blades aren't worth it. I'd like to go back to the stock metal frames now.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,126 Posts
Trico make stuff with value. The 14-b works well and looks good on the back window of many soob models.

I DO think the 08 STI wipers MIGHT work on the Outback, I may just move them over from my WRX to see. hmmmm

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Valeo is the major supplier for aftermarket wiper blades in Europe as well as OEM supplier for Benz, BMW, VW Group, etc. Try them and you will never look back!

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
I like the Rain-X Latitudes. They don't have those gaps for snow to collect like other wipers. And they worked great until I used the windshield cleaner. I now hate Rain-X window cleaner. At night it looks like someone replaced my wiper blades with strips of bacon. Even after rubbing off as much of that stuff as humanly possible I get a glare from any lights.

To jogosub: Verus!

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
I DISLIKE he RainX latitude. Completely overpriced garbage that fall apart in the slightest amount of ice.

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,109 Posts
I haven't been impressed with the Latitudes that I have. Tried them because they were on sale, but I'll be going back to Bosch this spring. If you get wipers at the dealer, they'll have refills forever. I would go that route, but here in Alabama, the nearest dealership is an hour away.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
As soon as my Latitudes finally give up the ghost (they are just about done, not much longer) I'll be ditching them and going back to Anco Contours like I had on my last car. They were fantastic, never gave me any issues. And are half the price of the Latitudes.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,439 Posts
Latitudes are junk next to the Bosch Icons. You can get Icons for $14 or so a piece on rockauto. They are the best on the market for performance and wear. Should last a year easy.

They do not make a 15" Icon, but they do make a 16" icon which I have on the rear window. Works great.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
The contoured one piece plastic blades are sort of pointless on the rear, as they are not in airflow to tend to make them lift prone. As they're also not as wide overall, they suffer much less from the 'pressure point' issue. Going with replacements 1-2" longer than stock is a great idea though, as I have discovered. Just be sure the arm clears the blade body, as the angle is much shallower.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,439 Posts
I think pressure points are always an issue with framed style blades. One of the reasons the icons also last longer is because of the more even distribution of pressure. Curved window or not.

Not having a frame also prevents snow and ice build up in the winter which is important on the front and rear window.

They also look cooler! Love the clean look of icons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts