Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching around, I wasn't able to dig up any info on this topic.

I have the older style Thule universal pull top which mounts "ok" to the factory crossbars ('13 OB) with the hard plastic feet (not the nice newer rubber do-dads).

The major drawback I have right now is the rack's proximity to the roof of the vehicle.

Apparently the factory has addressed this w/ a device that raises their Yakima rack. Having visited Thule's website, I've not found anything similar.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? My only idea thus far would be to throw the top bracket into the CT scanner, import the model into SolidWorks, add a few inches, and send it off to the 3D printer. Seems a bit excessive, and seems like simply investing in the factory/Yakima solution would be least time consuming and cheaper.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i CVT Limited, Nav+EyeSight
228 Posts
After searching around, I wasn't able to dig up any info on this topic.

I have the older style Thule universal pull top which mounts "ok" to the factory crossbars ('13 OB) with the hard plastic feet (not the nice newer rubber do-dads).

The major drawback I have right now is the rack's proximity to the roof of the vehicle.

Apparently the factory has addressed this w/ a device that raises their Yakima rack. Having visited Thule's website, I've not found anything similar.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? My only idea thus far would be to throw the top bracket into the CT scanner, import the model into SolidWorks, add a few inches, and send it off to the 3D printer. Seems a bit excessive, and seems like simply investing in the factory/Yakima solution would be least time consuming and cheaper.
Might be excessive, but adding a cargo basket that has rails on top might address the problem. The Yakima LoadWarrior/MegaWarrior and the Thule MOAB both have bars on the top for mounting other equipment.

Another option would be to switch from the "old style" mount to the new one. They have a kit for it, I believe. I'm not sure how much taller that would make it, though, if at all.

Thule 753-3998 Ski Rack Mounting Hardware - Thule Clamps and Adapters

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I raise my old gear up by using the old school rail grabs on the stowed rails adds about 2inches to the height of the rack gear plus I can use my old cross bars for added width. I run the 54inch bars for the box and two bikes and I run the 66 inch bars when hauling my 12ft racing sailboat which is 135lbs and about 55inches wide at the widest point. Zero issues even in some really windy highway conditions. I also run the 66inch bars when hauling the roof box and 16foot canoe side by side again works great no issues. Been doing it since 2010.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another option would be to switch from the "old style" mount to the new one. They have a kit for it, I believe. I'm not sure how much taller that would make it, though, if at all.

Thule 753-3998 Ski Rack Mounting Hardware - Thule Clamps and Adapters
Interestingly enough, that is the style that I currently have. I saw this style in previous posts, and this is, in fact, an "older" style than what Thule currently offers:

This "newer" model has a mechanism which locks, via key, to the cross bars.

For reference, the "Ski Adapter" on Thule's site (same as yours from rackattack) is the older version:

I did notice that if one puts "blocks" above the latter clamp, you can effectively have a "spacer". I'll either give this a go, or look into creating rubber "feet" that grip the factory cross bars and add the extra requisite space. This would also eliminate the air gap between the mounts and the cross bars, which drive me crazy.

Thanks all for the feedback.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts