Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started this morning. Coming off his win in Japan, Solberg just won his first stage of the rally and currently trails by 12 seconds about halfway thru the first day. Hirvonen is in 8th 2:30 back. You can follow it live at www.wrc.com.

Delayed coverage can be seen Sunday night at 9:30pm on Speed.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey!!!!!!

No spoilers please......:D

I'll catch it on Sunday on teh NASCAR TV...:(

·
Registered
MY17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
288 Posts
One of the closest finishes this year.

Story:
The victory battle today was thrilling. Sebastien Loeb (Citroen) led Petter Solberg (Subaru) by 7.3sec overnight. The Norwegian went off the road briefly in today's opening stage and the gap widened to 8.6sec. But he reduced it to just 3.5sec and moved ahead on the penultimate stage, holding on during a head-to-head battle over the final stage in Cardiff to win by 6.3sec. It was the closest finish of the season and Solberg's third consecutive triumph in Britain. The BP-Ford duo sandwiched Carlos Sainz (Citroen) in fourth while Harri Rovanperä (Peugeot) and Mikko Hirvonen (Subaru) completed the manufacturer-entered finishers in sixth and seventh. The privately-entered Focus RS of Mark Higgins looked set to claim the final drivers' point in eighth but he went off the road on the penultimate stage in Margam, allowing Manfred Stohl to move up.

Fifty-seven drivers left Felindre parc ferme at 0630hrs this morning. Eleven of those had re-started after retiring on Leg one or two

The final Leg of Wales Rally GB comprised four stages and 90 competitive kilometres. Crews contested two passes through the 30km Rhondda test, a repeat of Margam Park and a final lap of the Cardiff Super Special

Following early morning light showers, conditions cleared and were mostly dry for the remainder of the day. Temperatures started at 12°C in the morning, rising to 17°C by midday. Stages were loose gravel with some mud and damp patches

Subaru

Petter Solberg and co-driver Phil Mills take their third consecutive WRC Rally GB win - Win is Solberg's ninth in the WRC & fourth in the 2004 season
- Subaru and Pirelli win eight out of the last ten WRC Rally GBs - Rally GB result marks Subaru's 43rd WRC victory, its 42nd with the Impreza - Solberg is fourth driver in the event's history to take three consecutive Rally GB wins - Solberg takes eight stage wins on 2004 Wales Rally GB - Mikko Hirvonen finishes seventh to score more Championship points for himself and Subaru

Petter Solberg / Phil Mills: It's been the hardest finish I can remember, but one of the best. Sebastien is a very determined guy. We had the most incredible battle, this is a good result for the sport and we put on a great show - but it was not an easy task today! On the first part of Margam it was very slippery. I hit rocks and everything, but when it dried I though, right, let's go and I absolutely nailed it. I tried everything, but it worked out. I'm so pleased for everyone in the team, we have a great team atmosphere and we're going to carry it through to Sardinia.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
Another great event and win!
If Petter wants to win the Drivers Championship he is going to need Loeb to stop finishing in 2nd place! 2 points seperating 1st and 2nd seems like way too small a point differential.

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those 3 consecutive retirements for Solberg are gonna be the difference. With 4 events left there's almost no chance of him winning the championship this year. And to be fair, the 2003 title was pretty much handed to Solberg when Loeb was instructed to take it easy on the last day of the last rally (Rally GB) in order to secure the manufacturers title for Citroen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts