Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year, the Nebraska Region SCCA had it's first (and 2nd) ever Rallycrosses. I participated in both and did quite well:cool: Anyway, anyone interested in such a sport should contact their regional or local SCCA and see what they have to offer. I enjoyed it totally, even took the wife on a couple runs. It is a good way to get use to your vehicle in the dirt.
Since most of the vehicles on this site don't autocross, rallycrossing is definitely a way to have safe, regulated fun offroad. Brian

SCCA

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, Rally Outback, how did you fare in your rallycross events? What class were you in? What is it 4U or something? And what other cars were in your class. I had all the freakin' WRX's but I beat a lot of 'em. I think the STI was in a different class because of 2.5l plus turbo. Anyway, like you said, it is a great deal of fun. I've heard of the Gravelcrew from NASIOC, cool crew. Brian

·
Registered
1998 OBS
15 Posts
out of 30 cars i placed 4th in my class and 7th over all .
there was WRX's Too Evo's but most of the people lack one thing i have over them.. Rally tires and Rally School... if you can make an Outback go faster than an EVO Or STi.. then you know there is some kind of skill there..i was in O4 Open Four Wheel.but with alot of these rally cross's we have advantages over Turbo Cars.. they take like 4 days too boost when we are already in our happy power band. rally cross's in the west are real tight compacted 1 st gear stuff. and the N/A loves it.

Www.GravelCrew.Com
V.2 Comming Soon

Attachments

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,188 Posts
Hey Rally Outback, what would you consider rally tires ?,or wheels for that matter. Any other 'tricks of the trade'? Where is 'Rally School'? sounds like fun!

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
1998 OBS
15 Posts
not too many trade secrets.. just never lift your foot off of the gas pedal. and im using my stock LOB 15'' rims with gravel spec Michelen tires about 160 a tires and i have about 8 of them sitting in my garage

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More rallycrossing coming up for us in Nebraska. March 14th will set the year off in a very muddy way. There is still many inches of snow on the ground! It will be fun. So if you're in the area, slide on by for the mud slingin' fun. I'm hoping to get some good pics. Brian

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
Team O'Neil Rally School

Man, I would kill to do some rallying.

My girlfriend gets pissed at me when I go skidding around snow covered parking lots, I'm sure she would be even more upset if I went skidding around dirt covered praries.

Also, for those in the northeast, this is one rally school that I've heard a lot about, as far as I can tell it's probably one of the finest in the country:

http://www.teamoneil.com/index.htm
-The site seems to be down for me right now, keep trying, its worth it!-

I've experimented with left foot braking around my neighborhood at like 3am when there is fresh snow on the ground and no cars around. We've got lots of tight turns and twisty roads, but I still don't have the confidence to hit a turn at nearly full speed and never take my foot off the gas.

I also find that my anti-lock brakes totally screw things up, especially on snow, and I find myself grabbing the E-Brake more often than I probably should. It probably doesn't help that my rear tires are nearly bald and my front aren't much better!

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FMGreen, be careful with the E-Brake. Remember you have AWD which means when you stop the rear tires with an E-Brake, the fronts are still turning-not good for the front differential. Okay on slippery surfaces, though. Brian

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Ooh, thats harsh. I was under the impression that the e-brake stopped all four tires. Thanks for the heads up!
I'm aware of the issues with just having 2 of 4 tires spinning, a mechanic I once used tried to put my old 94 legacy on a 2-wheel dyno thingy. Good thing I figured out what was about to happen before they actually ran it up there. Idiots.

No more e-braking for me, unless its an emergency of course...

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,460 Posts
Re: Team O'Neil Rally School

FMGreen said:
My girlfriend gets pissed at me when I go skidding around snow covered parking lots, I'm sure she would be even more upset if I went skidding around dirt covered praries.
You have that girl/car problem too, I'm sorry! :D

FMGreen said:
I've experimented with left foot braking around my neighborhood at like 3am when there is fresh snow on the ground and no cars around.
Experimenting in the snow is a great thing to do, especially EARLY in the morning. I used to do this all the time seeing as how I get off work at midnight, ya know go driving around to places you never even knew existed, screw off, and hopefully not get caught by the cops. Yea, thats my average night with or without snow :D Hmmm... I think we may have much in common!

FMGreen said:
I also find that my anti-lock brakes totally screw things up, especially on snow, and I find myself grabbing the E-Brake more often than I probably should. It probably doesn't help that my rear tires are nearly bald and my front aren't much better!
Like Brian said, E-braking on an AWD car is a bad thing and IMO even in the snow. It probably makes things worse in the snow if anything. And I don't consider that an "Emergency" brake because that will not save you from any emergency like the ABS that you dislike so much can. I think you need some new tires ASAP and this is a great time to be on the board for that, just look around a bit we have many ongoing discussions about tires currently ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
I think you need some new tires ASAP and this is a great time to be on the board for that, just look around a bit we have many ongoing discussions about tires currently
Well, I need a JOB first...I can't wait till January 2005, if you know what I mean...

But, once I find myself a job, new tires and suspension are at the top of my fix list.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The first rallycross of the year is over. Besides being windy, it was a great day to tear into the dirt. I did some sideways action, it was fun. I'll get some photos up or links or something for you guys and gals. Brian

·
Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
1,264 Posts
let it snow!

I had some great 4wheel drifts with the pedal to metal! the awd system works awesome! I came into this hairpin corner and nailed it! nice powerslide..... steering into the drift! wahoo! that was my winter fun!:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts