Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 OB and in the last month or so I have notice a random clicking. The noise could have been happening before that but I did not notice it...but now that I notice it, it is driving me crazy.

The click is the same but it is not consistent. It appears to be coming from the dash/firewall area. Maybe the center? I have heard it when I accelerate, decelerate, when the steering wheel is moved just slightly (not enough to change momentum of the car), when a front wheel goes thru a very slight dip (not enough to twist the car). When it clicks, it is just once. I cannot get it to repeat on demand doing anything I listed above. So you will accelerate and it will click once when you accelerate and then maybe when you just slightly let off the gas or hit the brakes at the stop sign. But not every time. The Subaru shop has removed a lot of the dash looking for the noise to no success. They have had the car now for 4 days and still do not have a solution. Everyone at the dealer has heard and acknowledges that the noise is there. They have called Subaru support but they only had solutions for "if the brake is pressed....look at these items".

I am starting to get worried as I will not own this car with this clicking. There is no way I am paying $35K for a car and listening to this noise. I am really getting bummed as I will take a bath if I have to sell it because they cannot fix it. I am sure that they are trying their best to resolve this but worry that they will say "sorry, we could not fix it".

This is too bad as this was the first new car I have purchased in 20 years and if this was used, I would just sell it. But because it is only 10 months old, I will take a bath because of the initial depreciation it will have. This is the exact reason I quit buying new cars and looks like I got burned again. I also have winter tires and wheels and installed a hitch which I will lose money on as I am not sure I can afford to buy another new OB as my payments will go up. My thoughts are if I do end up having to sell it that I will just buy used and around here, you never can find a used OB and that was the reason I bought new as I knew I could get one. If I have to sell it and buy a different car, I think I will just go back to the Buick LaCrosse like I sold. Right now I am having buyers remorse about selling that car. While it does have some minuses, there was a whole lot to love about that car and stuff that I missed when I went to the OB.

Frustrated in Michigan.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is it a loud clicking noise? Quiet? Or variable?

There's a long thread where someone had a noise from the dash. I believe the final fix that worked was stuffing a thin foam hose between windshield and the dash for the entire length of the dash.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
552 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, here's the thread
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...93-dashboard-rattle-anyone-else-resolved.html

OP, don't get your hopes up, this rattle is hard to get rid of. It's worse in cold weather.

This is not a rattle. It is a single click. Today is the start of the second week the dealer will have the car. If it cannot get solved, I will sell the car. There is no way I will live with this. I don't like this or any other car that much to put up with listening to that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is not a rattle. It is a single click. Today is the start of the second week the dealer will have the car. If it cannot get solved, I will sell the car. There is no way I will live with this. I don't like this or any other car that much to put up with listening to that.
I would take it back to the dealer over and over and over and over. Let them deal with these awful cars. The 2017 Impreza is awful too. I've been following the Impreza board and that thing is garbage.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would take it back to the dealer over and over and over and over. Let them deal with these awful cars. The 2017 Impreza is awful too. I've been following the Impreza board and that thing is garbage.

I am just waiting for them to call me. I have a loaner Forrester so it's not like I don't have wheels. If they call and say it's not fixed or they can't find it, I will just press them asking what their plan is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine had a ticking noise and I finally figured out it was coming from the speakers and it was related to the playback feature on the radio. I disabled it in the settings and never heard it again.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the dealer had the car from the 14th thru the 24th. I was out of town the 21st thru the 24th and when I got back in town I went by the dealer to see what was up because I never heard anything from them as to any progress. Supposedly the Subaru rep had just left there 30 minutes before I got there. The mechanic that was working on my car was out on vacation the 24th and 25th. The service manager and the Subi repl took my car for an extended ride and did not notice any "abnormal" noises. So I asked what did the mechanic do to supposedly fix it. The service writer says he put foam in areas under the dash even though nothing is stated on the repair ticket.

So I ask what is the next step if the click is still there? They said that the Subi rep said that I should call SOA and that the dealer is wiping its hand of this. The dealer said the next step would be to remove the dash and they said they do not recommend it because it can introduce new noises (and that concerns me how? You will just fix them). So they had to put parts of the dash back together (vents, glove box, other trim) and clean up the car so they called me the next day (yesterday) to say it was ready to pickup. So today the wife and I take a small road trip (65 miles one way) driving smooth back roads to the destination and for about the first hour the car appears to be quiet. I start to think that it might be fixed and then it starts to make the clicks. First occasionally but then it starts getting more frequent, and quite a bit on the way back. Then the dealer does a next day call to check on the repair and a service writer (different one) calls on our way back while in the car. "So how is the repair". "Not good. It is clicking again and quite a bit." She asks if I wanted to set up an appointment and I said that I was told by another person that the dealer has wiped their hands of this and to call SOA. So I got home at 3:00 pm and SOA was open until 3:30 pm. I got ahold of a person and walked them thru the issue and he wondered why the Subi rep said to contact them and why the dealer was passing this on. He had my repair ticket in front of him and he was going to call the dealer on Monday and find out what is going on and get back with me. He said that I should not have to deal with this clicking and that Subaru would get this resolved. So my hopes are better now after talking with SOA than with the dealer. Not sure how they are going to find and fix this but like syntaxerror has stated, I will keep taking it back until they get it fixed. I am not going to let them push this off. I cannot afford to sell it and buy another one as I will take a bath and the car payments will go up.

So I will see how this goes with SOA involved.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What does the radio have to do with it...it is not on, the car still clicks.
Mine had an annoying pop or click that was a result of the cached radio and I had no idea it was the radio at first. If you have the noise with the radio off just disregard.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine had an annoying pop or click that was a result of the cached radio and I had no idea it was the radio at first. If you have the noise with the radio off just disregard.
Yes, radio off, still clicks. I even turned off the HVAC thinking it could be vanes moving changing the temp of the air. I was getting pissed now I am just about laughing every time I hear it considering that the Subaru Rep said he could not hear it. I will have to meet up with him and give him a hearing aid as a present.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, radio off, still clicks. I even turned off the HVAC thinking it could be vanes moving changing the temp of the air. I was getting pissed now I am just about laughing every time I hear it considering that the Subaru Rep said he could not hear it. I will have to meet up with him and give him a hearing aid as a present.
I had a similar experience with Mazda coming from my tailgate. They charged me $20 to look into it and of course found nothing. Went home and start poking around and found some a sheet metal structure inside the tailgate making contact with the body of the car. I just had to bend it away and it was fixed.:mad:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a similar experience with Mazda coming from my tailgate. They charged me $20 to look into it and of course found nothing. Went home and start poking around and found some a sheet metal structure inside the tailgate making contact with the body of the car. I just had to bend it away and it was fixed.:mad:

I wish or hope my problem is that easy. I just want the click gone so I can get back to enjoying my OB again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6 Ltd Red/ES,20 mm RSB
354 Posts
I was getting pissed now I am just about laughing every time I hear it considering that the Subaru Rep said he could not hear it.

Why don't you record it? You could post it here and give it to your "deaf" rep too.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why don't you record it? You could post it here and give it to your "deaf" rep too.

Actually my wife suggested I document all if this ( dates, times, persons, conversations) so I have all my facts straight when talk to dealer, Subi Rep, and SOA. Smart woman, makes me wonder why such a smart woman married me?

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6 Ltd Red/ES,20 mm RSB
354 Posts
Actually my wife suggested I document all if this ( dates, times, persons, conversations) so I have all my facts straight when talk to dealer, Subi Rep, and SOA. Smart woman, makes me wonder why such a smart woman married me?

Nobody is perfect :laugh:

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,584 Posts
... makes me wonder why such a smart woman married me?
The secret to happiness in life is low expectations. ~ Barry Schwartz, The Paradox of Choice

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT, White
39 Posts
I had the same issue on one of my 2017 Outbacks. I finally gave up on it. Sure would like to know what they find. I just traded mine in on a Toyota since I was looking for an '18 anyway. The other '17 Outback is as quiet as a mouse. The wife is well pleased with it. I hope they find your issue quickly. I will monitor your progress.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts