Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, I have a 2016 Outback Limited 2.5i and I have this random ding sound that keeps happening and I can't find out why or what it is. happens all the time when just driving. nothing sticks out as a pattern as sometimes with cars around and other times when I'm the only one on the road.

The ding sounds like a ding when on a plane and the captain turns on the fasten seat belt sign. When I hear it there is nothing displayed on the instruments or center screen. I can see no notifications anywhere as to what it's alerting me to.

I played around turning off some of the sounds when you acquire the car ahead of you with adaptive cruise and things like that but nothing seems to change. I asked at the dealership when I had it in for an oil change and he thought it might be the air bag detecting and not detecting something on the front seat. Sometime I have my work bag with laptop sitting on passenger seat when I hear it and other time nothing on the seat and it still makes the sound.

I have looked in the manuals and don't see anything that would be causing this. Any ideas what to look for or as to why this ding is happening?

Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am very interested to hear what someone with experience says this is!! I've had my 2016 a little over a week and have been wondering the same thing!! Totally different sounds the car makes. Driving me nuts trying to figure out what this is!!

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness, Magnetite Gray Metallic
822 Posts
There are a number of conditions that will trigger an alert that are listed in the manual outside of those that you listed. IIRC they're controlled by the steering wheel switches.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have nav and looked in the setting as best I could as I saw a post about something in there that can be dinging. The problem is it dings at all different speeds so doesn't appear to be a certain speed that it's set for and when I exceed that it dings. Believe me I drive a lot of different speeds. Some may even be more then the posted speed.

If there is a specific setting that someone is aware I can check it tonight.

·
Registered
36 Posts
it's coming from your Nav. Next time you hear it look real faster over to the bottom right corner of your Nav screen. ( the nav screen needs to be on) It will happen when the posted speed changes or the road changes example a split in the road. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
497 Posts
Help, I have a 2016 Outback Limited 2.5i and I have this random ding sound that keeps happening and I can't find out why or what it is.
Do you have Eyesight?

When using the Adaptive Cruise Control, it dings when it captures a car in front of you.

·
Premium Member
2016 Ouback 3.6R Limited
120 Posts
I've narrowed my random dings down to something to do with the lane centering function. My current theory is that when it is active (symbol is green) and it loses lock on the edge of the lane.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness, Magnetite Gray Metallic
822 Posts
it's coming from your Nav. Next time you hear it look real faster over to the bottom right corner of your Nav screen. ( the nav screen needs to be on) It will happen when the posted speed changes or the road changes example a split in the road. Hope this helps.
Also look in the general users manual on 3-34 which is the start of vehicle settings using the steering wheel controls. I think there are some warnings there that I turned off.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
29 Posts
If you have a NAV check for alerts being turned on. You can make it stop by going to navigation, then Settings - sound and warnings - warning sign alerts and turning this off. The bongs will then stop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you have a NAV check for alerts being turned on. You can make it stop by going to navigation, then Settings - sound and warnings - warning sign alerts and turning this off. The bongs will then stop.

I had the same issue & the "alerts" were gone after getting rid of the check container.

·
Registered
2016 3.6R with all options, 2014 Crosstrek
837 Posts
There are a number of conditions that will trigger an alert that are listed in the manual outside of those that you listed. IIRC they're controlled by the steering wheel switches.
Given the length of the manual and astounding number "dings" it can make its amazing anyone has any idea what 10% of them mean.

After awhile one just kind of ignores them all. The same "ding" can mean everything from wet trim to imminent nuclear explosion.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It's the dangerous road condition warning. Stuff like curves sets it off. It can be disabled.

It's a rather feature.

·
Registered
2016 3.6 w/ Eyesight
220 Posts
Given the length of the manual and astounding number "dings" it can make its amazing anyone has any idea what 10% of them mean.

After awhile one just kid of ignores them all. The same "ding" can mean everything from wet trim to imminent nuclear explosion.
Thank you, you made my day with this one! I laughed my head off. Yes indeed, a lot of dinging going on in this car if you don't turn them off. When I first got this car, a salesman had turned them all on and it sounded like an orchestra tuning up.

·
Registered
2002 WRX, 2016 Outback 3.6R
53 Posts
This definitely is the Lane Keep Assist losing sight of a specific lane that it is trying to keep you from crossing. Observe and I guarantee that that is when it is happening.

From the Eyesight manual. Though it says "beep", I'm pretty sure it is referencing the sound we're hearing.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R LBP "Dingo"
643 Posts
The same "ding" can mean everything from wet trim to imminent nuclear explosion.
I don't think I've heard the latter one yet. Surprised Subaru doesn't market that more, similar to Tesla marketing the "bioweapon defense mode" on the Model X

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
142 Posts
This definitely is the Lane Keep Assist losing sight of a specific lane that it is trying to keep you from crossing. Observe and I guarantee that that is when it is happening.

From the Eyesight manual. Though it says "beep", I'm pretty sure it is referencing the sound we're hearing.
This is it. Turn off lane keep assist and it goes away. I don't use lane keep assist anyway. Don't like it.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 3.6R with all options, 2014 Crosstrek
837 Posts
Thank you, you made my day with this one! I laughed my head off. Yes indeed, a lot of dinging going on in this car if you don't turn them off. When I first got this car, a salesman had turned them all on and it sounded like an orchestra tuning up.
You are right. My wife wonders aloud how any of us managed to drive without an orchestra of nanny noises in the background. There are so many they eventually really do fade into the background.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think Wreck111 might have nailed it. I normally don't have the map screen up and instead have the audio screen displayed. So I switched it to map screen and monitored and listened for the ding. I heard the ding and looked to the map screen and right in the center on the right edge is the speed limit sign. I noticed that if I was going a certain speed that was above the limit of the speed sign on the road I was about to or just passed I would hear the ding and the white speed limit sign would turn red indicating I'm going above the posted speed. That seems to be the cause of the ding at least as I can see so far.

I noticed it happen a few time last night and every time the speed limit sign was show on the map screen. It can be as simple as going the posted speed of 55MPH and then switching to a lower speed limit area like 45MPH and as long as you are over when you pass the sign on the road it dings.

I'll also take a look at the lane assist and monitor that as to what is happening more closely to see if that is it. I normally do turn on the lane assist so maybe try driving with that off and see if I get less dings.

Thanks for all the tips and where to look. I'm going to try to find the setting in the navigation on how to turn the speed warnings off.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts