Subaru Outback Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited Wilderness Green/Ivory
61 Posts
There is also a pleasant airline type chime when you cancel Assisted Cruise Control by pulling a shift paddle. I owned the car for several months before I noticed that one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help, I have a 2016 Outback Limited 2.5i and I have this random ding sound that keeps happening and I can't find out why or what it is. happens all the time when just driving. nothing sticks out as a pattern as sometimes with cars around and other times when I'm the only one on the road.

The ding sounds like a ding when on a plane and the captain turns on the fasten seat belt sign. When I hear it there is nothing displayed on the instruments or center screen. I can see no notifications anywhere as to what it's alerting me to.

I played around turning off some of the sounds when you acquire the car ahead of you with adaptive cruise and things like that but nothing seems to change. I asked at the dealership when I had it in for an oil change and he thought it might be the air bag detecting and not detecting something on the front seat. Sometime I have my work bag with laptop sitting on passenger seat when I hear it and other time nothing on the seat and it still makes the sound.

I have looked in the manuals and don't see anything that would be causing this. Any ideas what to look for or as to why this ding is happening?

Thanks
Did you ever figure out what was causing the "ding?"

We have NAV but not sights and it happens on the same road, in the same spot, in the same direction every single time no matter what speed I am going. If I am driving the opposite direction in the same spot it does not "ding." Today on the highway in the middle of nowhere it "dinged" 3 to 5 times directly in a row so I am not sure that it is associated with speed limit signs... the speed limit wouldn't change that often within a less than 1 mile distance on a highway. :/

The Subaru mechanic suggested that we update our maps but I am not paying $115 to update our maps for the dings to MAYBE go away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi G19, I just bought a 2018 Forester. I too am mystified by this random ding. You nailed it when you compared to an airplane. It's a pleasant enough sound that doesn't bother me, but not knowing what it means is driving me crazy. If you have or in the future do, figure it out, I'll be appreciative!

·
Registered
1 Posts
After a few months with my '18 I determined the ding occurs when lane keep assist goes from active to cancelled by the system (which happens a lot when See pg 63 of the eyesight manual)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,285 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited Tungsten Metallic
46 Posts
Ding causes

Poster:
The suggestion that it is NAV thinking you are exceeding the posted speed limit is something I haven't noticed since I rarely drive with the map showing, but might be the cause as several posts seem to say. But I am going to test this next time I am in the car.

The feature that triggers the ding sounds for me is when the outside temperature drops below freezing (In Ontario the trigger point seems to be either -2 or -3 Celcius). An orange-ish snowflake appears in the centre console and remains until the temperature goes higher than the trigger point. But you did say you can't see any changes in the main display or the centre console, so this may not be your trigger condition.

May help someone if not you...

·
Registered
1 Posts
email notification

We have that random chime too (2017 Outback) and we do NOT have Nav (we have Eye-sight, though).

Everyone has a theory, but I'm pretty sure it's the email/messages notification coming in from the currently paired bluetooth device.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6
3 Posts
Simply change the battery in your key fob. Page 3-28 of owners manual, 6th one down. Ours did this, changed the battery and voila, no more ding.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6
3 Posts
Well, so much for the key fob battery change. Ding is back (when opening the door after turning off the car). We are at a loss for what it is. It's unpredictable what makes it happen. And we turn off the car the same way each time. Car in park, engine off, foot off the brake, unbuckle, then open driver's door. Ding, Ding, Ding. What gives?!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Minnesota, right? You can start the car & watch the center of the dash. You will hear a beep or ding & see the icy roads icon illuminate at the same time. I noticed it last year. Good luck!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Icy road icon comes on whenever outside temp is 37 degrees F or below. Happens on my 2017 Outback and also on my wife and daughters 2018 and 2014 foresters. Not sure if this is what your referring to or not but we finally figured this out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just posted the same question for the 2019 Outback Limited I purchased for my wife. The bell sound is not associated with any notification and is totally random occurring on interstates with a fixed speed limit. The dealership is telling us that it occurs when eyesight loses lane departure ability due to something with the road lane stripes. However, I do not see any such problem on the road when this occurs.

Also, this did not happen when she first got the car, only about six months later.

It is a real mystery.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 Touring
41 Posts
I just posted the same question for the 2019 Outback Limited I purchased for my wife. The bell sound is not associated with any notification and is totally random occurring on interstates with a fixed speed limit. The dealership is telling us that it occurs when eyesight loses lane departure ability due to something with the road lane stripes. However, I do not see any such problem on the road when this occurs.

Also, this did not happen when she first got the car, only about six months later.

It is a real mystery.
Next time it happens, look at the indicator in the center of your display that normally shows the two lanes. Sometimes, even when you can see two lane markings, Eyesight can't, and it then gives you the single soft ding.

·
Registered
2019 Crystal White Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
78 Posts

It is a real mystery.
I also have '19 OB Limited, and I will say -- it is strange. I've noticed this for a while, and it's not the lane departure assist warning: that has a different beep (three "chimes"). If you read the whole thread, I am going to do what is suggested and check the navigation speed limit settings.

Next time it happens, look at the indicator in the center of your display that normally shows the two lanes. Sometimes, even when you can see two lane markings, Eyesight can't, and it then gives you the single soft ding.
Mine happens in broad daylight, with no notification that EyeSight has lost vision or reason why it is occuring. I do get a "Ding!" when it is raining and EyeSight loses eyesight, and/or sever weather is occuring.

I will play around when I drive and hear it next...\

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,248 Posts
I also have '19 OB Limited, and I will say -- it is strange. I've noticed this for a while, and it's not the lane departure assist warning: that has a different beep (three "chimes"). If you read the whole thread, I am going to do what is suggested and check the navigation speed limit settings.

Mine happens in broad daylight, with no notification that EyeSight has lost vision or reason why it is occuring. I do get a "Ding!" when it is raining and EyeSight loses eyesight, and/or sever weather is occuring.

I will play around when I drive and hear it next...\
If it botheRS you then turn off the notifications on your navigation system.

·
Registered
2019 Crystal White Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
78 Posts
If it botheRS you then turn off the notifications on your navigation system.
I think I figured it out: it's a low fuel warning sign. It chimes every time I go down a 1/4 tank or so.

I went to navigation settings, and saw this was on:
Electronics Multimedia Vehicle Vehicle audio Car

^This is the only thing I can think of. There are no other navigation alerts on...
I believe the Nav is chiming to tell me there's gas stations I'm passing nearby, if I choose to refuel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you ever figure out what was causing the "ding?"

We have NAV but not sights and it happens on the same road, in the same spot, in the same direction every single time no matter what speed I am going. If I am driving the opposite direction in the same spot it does not "ding." Today on the highway in the middle of nowhere it "dinged" 3 to 5 times directly in a row so I am not sure that it is associated with speed limit signs... the speed limit wouldn't change that often within a less than 1 mile distance on a highway. :/

The Subaru mechanic suggested that we update our maps but I am not paying $115 to update our maps for the dings to MAYBE go away.
I updated maps and it didn't go away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Help, I have a 2016 Outback Limited 2.5i and I have this random ding sound that keeps happening and I can't find out why or what it is. happens all the time when just driving. nothing sticks out as a pattern as sometimes with cars around and other times when I'm the only one on the road.

The ding sounds like a ding when on a plane and the captain turns on the fasten seat belt sign. When I hear it there is nothing displayed on the instruments or center screen. I can see no notifications anywhere as to what it's alerting me to.

I played around turning off some of the sounds when you acquire the car ahead of you with adaptive cruise and things like that but nothing seems to change. I asked at the dealership when I had it in for an oil change and he thought it might be the air bag detecting and not detecting something on the front seat. Sometime I have my work bag with laptop sitting on passenger seat when I hear it and other time nothing on the seat and it still makes the sound.

I have looked in the manuals and don't see anything that would be causing this. Any ideas what to look for or as to why this ding is happening?

Thanks
Yes yes yes! I have a 2016 Outback with all the bells, whistles, beeps, boops, dings, and this one, very gentle, low-tone almost a quick hum sound that is different from every single other sound this car makes. I'll ask this one question: Have you noticed that it occurs at the same location repeatedly? Mine does it as I pass by Lompoc Prison housing EVERY TIME I pass by, in either direction. Not just there, but other locations. It's not veering out of the lane, it's not a car in front coming in and out of being too close as I drive, it's not that we're at a stop and the car in front of me moved, it's not a car in my blind spot, it's not low fuel, it's not that I've driven 2 hours and need a rest, it's not a setting that I'm near a particular gas station, and I've had my whole screen reset, losing my Sirius XM stations and all settings because the dealership thought I put some setting in like that. Drove me buggy! "Didja hear that?!"

It never happens in town, and I wonder if it's some radar thing since it's always in the same place... but there have been times when I'm expecting it as im ready to pass where it happens, and it doesn't do its mellow hum-type boop. But then it's back the next time I'm passing there!

I would love to know what it is!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts