Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One problem Ive always had with my OB, is that I often go to "astronomy" gatherings. Like meteor showers and such - where you arrive late at night, in the dark, and there are already a lot of people there and dont want to see headlights glaring at them as I park. But I cant turn off the day running lights unless I pull my parking break as I am driving around the parking lot. (unless I am missing something).

are the 2013s the same way - where you cant drive just on parking lights?

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
DRL's can be disabled. Dunno if the 2013 is the same as other Gen 4 models, but you can find the thread here on the forums on how to override the DRL.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The handbrake method is probably adequate for the low speeds you'll likely be going as you come up on a gathering. The first click is enough to trigger the sensor, and I doubt you'll feel a difference coming off the clutch.

Just out of curiosity, where do you go to find clear enough sky around LA for reliable viewing? I'm guessing its further out than Griffith hill.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The 2013's have an electric emergency brake, no handbrake. I'm not aware of an easy way to override them except to disconnect them.

·
Registered
457 Posts
There was a thread about this in the Gen 4 subforum. While a couple ways to disable the lights to exist, it isn't super easy. Might be worth a quick search in that subforum though.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
One problem Ive always had with my OB, is that I often go to "astronomy" gatherings. Like meteor showers and such - where you arrive late at night, in the dark, and there are already a lot of people there and dont want to see headlights glaring at them as I park. But I cant turn off the day running lights unless I pull my parking break as I am driving around the parking lot. (unless I am missing something).

are the 2013s the same way - where you cant drive just on parking lights?
DRL is a safety issue - in Europe, where it all started (Sweden I believe) they have them for years. I would not mess with it, if I were you! It may save you life some day!

·
Registered
572 Posts
What you could do is back in to the parking spot from the highway. The rear camera will help you. This way you wont blast your friends with your million candle power front end resulting in vertigo for all the astronomers :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What you could do is back in to the parking spot from the highway. The rear camera will help you. This way you wont blast your friends with your million candle power front end resulting in vertigo for all the astronomers :)

This wouldnt work, the places Im talking about are on the top of very dark mountain roads, and not "wide" roads and the rear lights are white and bright.

Basically, white light is the worst for ruining adjusted eyesight. Red lights DONT ruin the adjustment (which properly takes about 10 minutes or so).
This REALLY pisses off the people there, esp cause MOST cars can turn off their lights and when you pull up, they think you can so they all yell at you like you just arent paying attention. :)

Storkiln,

Seeing as the Leonid Meteor shower is basically THIS WEEKEND.....

I have no idea what Griffith Hill is. Do you mean Griffith Observataory, or somewhere in Griffith Park?
Im sure in 1935 when the observatory opened, skies were plenty dark there. But now, its pretty much surrounded by way too much light.

Anyway, to properly get away from the light for good viewing, you have to go a ways.

You CAN go up into Angeles Crest (LA Forest) anywhere north of LA (not so far) , but the problem is anywhere along those roads dont have much sky casue of the mountains near the road, and if you go up to a place like Mt Wilson - well, the greater LA city lights below you are quite bright (you can hike in the dark up there and the city lights ARE bright enough to get around if you are on a trail).

If you really want to see a proper good sky/meteor shower, I suggest either going out to Joshua Tree - skies are wide and mostly pretty dark, or go where I go, which is up at Mt Pinos, up the 5 freeway near the north side of the "grapevine". The reason this place is good - is that its pretty dark, but it also has a large parking lot space so you can see a good amount of sky and theres no traffic (other than people arriving and leaving). You can set up a good reclining chair and hang out for a bit.

If theres a good meteor shower (and no moon), to me, its worth driving an hour or 2, bring some warm drinks, blankets, and make an evening of it. Many bring their telescopes up there too (Mt Pinos) and you can see a lot of stuff. In the summer though it actually gets pretty packed and people there get a little too obnoxious for my taste, but in the colder times, the crowds are more quieter and a bit less obnoxious. When I go into a beautiful place to look at a beautiful sky Im not crazy about people playing loud music and a lot of yelling drunkenness. The Persieds which happens in the summer - it gets a bit like this up there, but the Leonids, (this weekend) its still crowded up there, but people are more quiet.

The place Im talking about is here:

These are directions from Burbank (just picked a random So Cal spot) going to the exact location where the parking lot is. Its a great place to see a great sky.

Burbank, CA to Cuddy Valley Rd - Google Maps

·
Registered
20 Posts
There is a connector B5 on the Bulkhead Wiring Harness (engine compartment) which is plugged into load resistor located right above the left front fender. If you disconnect this connector, your DRLs are going to be off and normal headlights won't be affected.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
How about a simple head light cover? Before rolling into the lot - you could toss a cover over the headlights and if you need to flash some light you could just flip the short range floods on under the bumper for a second.

You could test the idea with some of that sticky temporary window shade type stuff just cut it to shape and slap them on etc

·
Registered
572 Posts
How about a simple head light cover? Before rolling into the lot - you could toss a cover over the headlights and if you need to flash some light you could just flip the short range floods on under the bumper for a second.

You could test the idea with some of that sticky temporary window shade type stuff just cut it to shape and slap them on etc
Cardboard and duct tape might work. You can also bring a flash light and have your passenger shine it on the sensor on the dash?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
A high end custom interior and audio type shop with electrical experience could probably sort out a simple switch on the dash that disables the DRL's - plenty of pretty decent shops in LA that could do that sort of thing. Might cost you a little money but would be a really nice feature.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A high end custom interior and audio type shop with electrical experience could probably sort out a simple switch on the dash that disables the DRL's - plenty of pretty decent shops in LA that could do that sort of thing. Might cost you a little money but would be a really nice feature.
I would love to do something like this with my new car when I get it, and suppose I can just use cardboard and duct tape for my old one - but I can also ride the hand brake.

Do you know of any shops you would recommend for this type of thing? Ive never mod-ed cars except stereo systems - and being an audio engineer, I have been very unimpressed with the people who install stereos in my previous cars, I wouldnt trust them to do more serious mods.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I'm in Norcal - if you were up here I would recommend a friends high end custom shop to do the electrical design and switch work. LA has far more shops than we do up here. I would just do some research on yelp or similar and see if you can find a local shop near you with good reviews and go talk to them about the idea.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mt Pinos and Joshua Tree...wow, you really go out of your way for a viewing location. I bet there are some great celestial photos to be had from your adventures. I've never been out that way, and the darkest places I can think of that weren't that far away are along hwy 138 along the back side of the Angeles Natl Forest / San Gabriel mountains. But that's not nearly as high in elevation as Mt Pinos.

And yes, I meant Griffith Park and the Observatory. I guess its better for observing the city scape these days instead of the skies. It's been a while since I've visited the area.

To take the head light covers idea one step further, you could incorporate some red acetate sheets used for stage lighting amongst the cardboard and duct tape. Acetate is often placed in front of high wattage stage lighting, so it won't melt under the heat of your head lights. Layer the acetate sheets to control how much light you want to get through, and this way you can still have some use of your headlights as your crawling into a parking lot. Better than driving with no headlights at all. Also affix some magnets to the covers so you can hang them off your hood over lights.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mt Pinos and Joshua Tree...wow, you really go out of your way for a viewing location. I bet there are some great celestial photos to be had from your adventures. I've never been out that way, and the darkest places I can think of that weren't that far away are along hwy 138 along the back side of the Angeles Natl Forest / San Gabriel mountains. But that's not nearly as high in elevation as Mt Pinos.

And yes, I meant Griffith Park and the Observatory. I guess its better for observing the city scape these days instead of the skies. It's been a while since I've visited the area.

To take the head light covers idea one step further, you could incorporate some red acetate sheets used for stage lighting amongst the cardboard and duct tape. Acetate is often placed in front of high wattage stage lighting, so it won't melt under the heat of your head lights. Layer the acetate sheets to control how much light you want to get through, and this way you can still have some use of your headlights as your crawling into a parking lot. Better than driving with no headlights at all. Also affix some magnets to the covers so you can hang them off your hood over lights.
That is a great idea!! I actually work in television audio - I dont work on the sets at all, but on a post production mixing stage, and I just asked a client (from a show) where I could get some of those and she told me.
That will be the best for the new OB I think. Thanks!!

And yes - I go a bit out to get a proper dark sky - and if the meteor shower is predicted to be good, I highly suggest it cause you see a lot more. But it IS a bit of a trip so you need to make an evening of it. But yes - the best closer places are in the Angeles forest - the more east the better - its just harder to find a good spot with a wide view of the sky thats away from the highway, and I live north of Burbank - right up near the 210 - so its probably same distance for me to go to Mt Pinos or out by the 138.

I love the Griffith Observatory - great place to go in a pinch for good views and a cool science center and a some LA history. But the skys arent that dark there.

Im totally going to look into this red light gel thing. Cant believe I didnt think of it before. Thanks!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
That is a great idea!! I actually work in television audio - I dont work on the sets at all, but on a post production mixing stage, and I just asked a client (from a show) where I could get some of those and she told me.
That will be the best for the new OB I think. Thanks!!

And yes - I go a bit out to get a proper dark sky - and if the meteor shower is predicted to be good, I highly suggest it cause you see a lot more. But it IS a bit of a trip so you need to make an evening of it. But yes - the best closer places are in the Angeles forest - the more east the better - its just harder to find a good spot with a wide view of the sky thats away from the highway, and I live north of Burbank - right up near the 210 - so its probably same distance for me to go to Mt Pinos or out by the 138.

I love the Griffith Observatory - great place to go in a pinch for good views and a cool science center and a some LA history. But the skys arent that dark there.

Im totally going to look into this red light gel thing. Cant believe I didnt think of it before. Thanks!
If your into the stars - years and years of major back country packing I saw some awesome star filled skies - but my SF to Hawaii sailboat race put all of those to shame.

1000 miles from no place - I had a sharp cut shadow of my self being projected on the main sail - looking over my shoulder a freaking ship was behind us with its huge spot lite on us. I woke up my crew sleeping near by in the cockpit and told him to radio the ship behind us to find out which way we should go to avoid them. He had done that trip about 7 times he started laughing uncontrollably. Freaking full moon was so **** bright you almost needed your sun glasses.

As for the stars - there were a few nights it felt like we were flying through space. UN FREAKING REAL!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I plan on clipping (or wrapping w/ electrical tape) the relay pin for the DRL.

This is also an option:

As an alternative to clipping the relay center pin or pulling the resistor connector, Subaru made it easy to remove the relay tray under the DRL Relay. Atleast this is the case on a 2013 Legacy 2.5i. All you have to do is use a small flat blade screwdriver and push on the tab, while pulling "up" on the board. Then if you pull the DRL relay and note the center pin:

View attachment 25967

From there, you can access the green wire that connects the center pin of the relay to the resistor on the back side of the board:

View attachment 25968

Clip the wire at the center so there is enough "slack" and if you like, crimp a terminal to both end so that you can re-attach them should you want to re-connect them sometime in the future:

View attachment 25969

Using electrical tape, tape-up both ends. Plug the relay board back in, and plug the DRL relay back into the socket (if you removed it). This should complete everything.

This is an alternative to clipping your relay pins or getting dirty finding the DRL resistor connector, and makes it easy to re-connect at a later time if you want. You could get fancy and install a little switch under the hood in lieu of a terminal to "make-break" the connection. Just remember to tape up any exposed ends so that you don't risk and electrical shorts.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sequoia, you're welcome, I'm glad the tips are giving you ideas. I think having some red head light filters to see where you're going will still be preferable to driving around in pitch blackness. Burbank huh? Let me guess, you work in a place where one of the bordering streets is Buena Vista? You don't have to answer that if you don't want to, but that entertainment company is the one that springs to mind.

Subiesailor, that sounds absolutely stunning. Reminds me of camping in Yosemite valley for the first time and looking up into the night. It was so clear and deep that I instinctively grabbed onto the my chair, for fear that I would fall right into the sea of stars I was looking into.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If your into the stars - years and years of major back country packing I saw some awesome star filled skies - but my SF to Hawaii sailboat race put all of those to shame.

1000 miles from no place - I had a sharp cut shadow of my self being projected on the main sail - looking over my shoulder a freaking ship was behind us with its huge spot lite on us. I woke up my crew sleeping near by in the cockpit and told him to radio the ship behind us to find out which way we should go to avoid them. He had done that trip about 7 times he started laughing uncontrollably. Freaking full moon was so **** bright you almost needed your sun glasses.

As for the stars - there were a few nights it felt like we were flying through space. UN FREAKING REAL!

Ive always wondered what it would be like far out at sea in the middle of nowhere (the stars I mean). Great story! I know when I go on night hikes up in the mountains, with a full moon up - flashlights off, eyes adjusted to dark, the moon seems SO bright you dont need a flashlight. You can see quite a moon shadow of yourself - as you mention. In the city, you just cant realize how much light the moon is creating.
I am sure out on the ocean REALLY away from all artificial light - it was amazing.

Many years ago - the sky looked like that to most people everywhere. Not anymore

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
10 Participants
Sequoia225
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing