Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2008 outback
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I do next,already talked to GM of dealership,mailed letters to Subaru.

ERHC is the code that shows up for 1 1/2 years.
Car stalls while driving at any speed leaving my wife and kids with out power steering or power brakes.
Tell me that is SAFE,my wife will never drive this car again,ever!

Car won't start after the ERHC code shows up.

·
Registered
18,154 Posts
"ErHC" appearing in the trip meter is indicating a failure in the high speed CAN communications network (LAN). This affects a wide range of critical functions including engine and transmission control, so it's not surprising that the car will stop when this happens.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
ERHC code explained
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/38558-er-hc-check-engine.html
and
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/61-general-discussions/7058-error-code-erhc-trip-odometer.html

Rich S. solved the problem

"I have read various posts on this and the problem is aggravating. I got my solved so here is my story. I bought an '05 Outback HR3.0 Sedan used a month ago. Two weeks ago, I went out to start it and it threw the Er HC code with all the characteristics--no ignition, temp gauge buried on H, all dash symbols lit. After six tries it started and ran for another 2 weeks then did it again--dead for 2 days. I read posts on filling up with gas (which I did as well but that was a red herring.

Here was the problem. The main "brain" of the car is under the floor mat on the passenger side front seat. A couple of the connectors to the brain had cracked housings and would (apparently) work loose coming up my 1/2 mile gravel, washboard driveway. The tech at Montana Import Group Subaru (Corey) figured it out.

Hope this helps some of you."

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Ok so maybe OP is not a spambot? The post was so abbreviated and so... weird, I wasn't sure.

If you're still out there & reading, maybe add some more details? What year & model car? Which dealer? any other repairs involved?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
2008 Outback is in Plyguy's avatar.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Joined in '08 and has 6 posts in 5 years. Spambots do that in 5 minutes;)

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
Ask your Dealer to look for chafing of the engine Harness under the Intake manifold, especially around the right side of the engine crossover waterpipe, about 9" back of the upper radiator hose. I have seen these chafing here with code ErHC and No start condition as well as no communication with OBD scantool, with symptoms similar to what you describe.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i
1,148 Posts
What should I do next,already talked to GM of dealership,mailed letters to Subaru.

ERHC is the code that shows up for 1 1/2 years.
Car stalls while driving at any speed leaving my wife and kids with out power steering or power brakes.
Tell me that is SAFE,my wife will never drive this car again,ever!

Car won't start after the ERHC code shows up.
I know this doesn't address your problem but, at speed power steering is not needed. Some PS racks buy pass the pressure when above 35mph to provide a better feel (Ford's).

The brake booster will keep enough vacuum to allow for a full stop from at speed. (Federal safety requirement) But not multiple stop attempts. So, if she touches the brake pedal while the engine is stalled, she needs to come to a complete stop then and not brake multiple times or change the brake pedal position.

To address the cause of the problem. Start unplugging the connectors going to the ECU (Engine control unit) and TCU (Transmission control unit) inspect the connector and wiring. Then before re connecting, clean both sides with a wire brush and apply dielectric grease. This remove any corrosion and prevent water from getting in there and causing additional corrosion.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,617 Posts
I feel quite sure he meant he spoke the the general manager as previously mentioned.

Hope it gets sorted out and a report back here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts