Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had an icy morning the other day and I decided to try out the AWD.

I was alone on a straight wide road and I stopped the car. I then gave it a burst on the accelerator causing some of the tires to slip. Naturally the traction control light came on, but coming from outside the passenger wheel hub there was a distinct grinding noise (or maybe a loud rapid clicking).

I thought maybe it was the TC auto-breaking the tire due to the slip. I then turned off the TC and tried again and I got the same result. Light flashed on the dash and noise still came over.

Any ideas? Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
It may be the ABS motor clicking. Someone posted a few months ago about a clicking from his passenger side that could be heard and ended up being the ABS was making the clicking when in operation. The assembly is mounted to the passenger strut tower. Its normal.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even though the sound only happened during wheel spin without hitting the brake?

If TC is off doesn't that stop the wheels from auto braking during loss of traction?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have, and I just watched it again to be sure. I never saw in that video the side tire braking to give power to the other side. It was always moving. All the other vehicles braked automatically but not the Subaru. Nor did I hear the same noise the OB made.

Just trying to understand. I thought the "auto braking" was only when the vehicle has traction control enabled? Otherwise it spins continually while still driving some power to the side needing it?

I guess I will have to wait for it to ice again to give it another shot and maybe try to record it.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
That button does not turn off traction control! it only turns off the function that cuts engine power to the drive (VDC) your traction control would still react in the example you gave.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that info - I didn't know that.

What is the difference with VDC and TC?

Also, if it is normal behavior for the OB to auto brake, why in the video was the Subaru the only vehicle that didn't wheel brake while trying to climb? Whereas all the other vehicles did?

·
Registered
2016 Legacy 3.6 w Eyesight
112 Posts
The purpose of traction control is not really to stop the spinning wheel, but to apply enough resistance to the spinning wheel to force more power to the opposite wheel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts