Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback AWD Manual, 2.5i Limited SOHC
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Power steering pumps leaking from seals seems to be pretty common. I recently developed a very bad leak on my 2006 2.5 OB Limited.

Doing some research, it seemed that many people have had the pump leak from the top elbow hose connection. My pump is leaking on the driver’s side face.

This is shown in the pictures below. I can physically see what I believe to be an o-ring sticking out from the seal on the side.

When the PS system is pressurized, the fluid shoots out from the gap in the o-ring - it almost hit me in the eye while I was inspecting for a “small leak or ooze/bubbling” :).

Has anyone had experience with this seal? I called a few shops + my local dealership, and all they can do is offer me the o-ring for the top elbow connector. They don’t seem to be familiar with this problem.

Any help is appreciated!!

Attachments

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
They don’t seem to be familiar with this problem.
I'd say that's probably very(!) rare. I've never seen that before.

That cap has a recessed hex head on it's end, so it probably is screwed in. What's puzzling is why the gasket/oring is pushed out that way. Has the pump ever been worked on?

It might be possible to remove the cap and find a suitable oring to install, making sure it stays in position and the cap is tightened properly. There aren't replacement parts available from Subaru. Also, I doubt there's any official documentation for rebuilding the pump, but there could internet sites or even YouTube videos where its been done that could help.

Please keep us informed as to what you find and do . . .

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i, Auto Transmission, 270k+
331 Posts
From what little I could find so far, it looks like that particular connection is considered part of the power steering pump- I could NOT find a part number for that connector or o-ring anywhere.

Yep, this one's a real puzzler!

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
That plug might be at the end of the control valve bore:

Diagram Text Technical drawing

I could NOT find a part number for that connector or o-ring anywhere.
Subaru doesn't list or provide parts for the pump itself; only for the fittings on it. There might be aftermarket kits available with gaskets and orings, but they tend to be generic and might not include the exact complement of seals needed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help, guys. I have some instant gratification for you. Plain OM, the connection was just as you said. The hex plug came out easily (too easily?, may be why the o-ring first popped out).

Removing the PS pump is a well documented job, and from there, swapping out the o-ring was a piece of cake.

Obviously, there’s no way for me to get my hands on an OEM o-ring, and seals aren’t great second hand parts :).

I purchased a $10 box of assorted o-ring from Lowe’s, and my first guess was straight golden cash money. I attached a picture of the o-ring I used:

OD: 3/4”
ID: 9/16”
WALL: 3/32”

I snugged it down, reinstalled everything, and so far no signs of leaks!

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's puzzling is why the gasket/oring is pushed out that way. Has the pump ever been worked on?
I am far from the first owner, but have had the car for 1.5 years, and to my knowledge, no.

I did have a new rack and pinion put in a month ago at the garage o pass inspection. I have no idea what they might have done. They installed the rack and pinion wrong the first try. I’m also starting to wonder if my $1000 “leaking rack and pinion” was a misdiagnoses of the start of this leaky seal.

I may never know...

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
Thanks for that great update. Good to know it was that easy but keep an eye on it for a while in case there's another reason for the oring pushing out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After probably 100 miles of driving, all seems to still be in order. No leaks or complaining from the PS system.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One more update: a year and a half later, I had some slow leaking from the same o-ring, which became faster quickly. I just replaced the PS pump which admittedly was the correct fix all along, but the bandaid fix got me through when I didn't feel like spending the money...

The lesson is that o-rings are really hard to exactly match even if you get close.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts