Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Outback Limited
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a 98 Outback 2.5L w/197k on it and recently i've noticed it making a rattle/knocking sound only while cruising at about 2500 and up from the driver's side of the engine, or at least i can only hear it from that side from driving... if i'm cruising and it's making the sound and i accelerate, even slightly, or decelerate it totally goes away. it only seems to be noticeable after the engine is completely warmed up. aside form this the car runs fine, smooth idle, good mileage, normal power. I bought the car 2 months ago and the guy had all of the service records back to 2003 so i know the car has been taken care of.

the car had work before i bought it, about 13k miles ago:
timing belt along with tensioner and pulleys
head gaskets
clutch
water pump
spark plugs

Wondering if anybody has some ideas what this might be?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dan Scan,
I'm having hte exact same issue on my 2013 2.5. Can you tell me what ended up being the issue? What is the heat shields on the exhaust?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,592 Posts
It's a skeleton covering for the exhaust pipes that cover them from the head to the CATs. They help hold in heat so the CAT functions properly. The tack welds vibrate loose and allow for vibration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts