Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 OBW, 128K auto 4cyl

Car runs great. Gas mileage is average. I am 2000 miles into this used car. So far I am very satisfied.

If anyone can give me some direction with a problem I have, Much appreciation in advance.

When I accelerate, something in the underbelly of the car rattles until I reach about 25mph (ish), It only happens with my foot on the gas.
Sound as if something is loose, I have inspected the muffler, other areas. An ametures eye did not notice or feel any loose parts. But,, really don't know what to look for.

The noise seems to be produced closer to the front or mid section of the underbelly.
It is not overwhelmingly loud. Seems to stop at certain speed. Getting worse and annoying .

When the car idles it purrs no unusual noise.
Thoughts?
Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's strange - mine also does this. I'm starting to think that its the covers on the exhaust (muffler) They look quite rusty and loose to me.

Does anyone know what they are there for, I assume that they are just heat shields. What happens if I take them off to stop the rattling? Will the underside of the car get too hot and burst into flames :confused:

My car's a '99 2.5 manual outback and I'm in the UK

·
Registered
403 Posts
It is almost certainly the heat shields on the exhaust. VERY common. I had some of mine taken (down pipes) off but you almost have to leave some of them on to protect other parts of the car. Just finished fixing my remaining ones as one of them was rattling exactly at 1800 RPMs. The cheap fix is to take a hose clamp and put it around the rattling shield. Usually you can tell the loose one by either hitting them with the palm of your hand or by wiggling them. I now have a clamp on every shield as they all have became loose at some point.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had this problem on my 98. I took it to the muffler shop and had them take all of the shields off. Hose clamps work for a while, but inevitably you will have to work on them again. I got tired of chasing the rattles. That was the most annoying part of the car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The heat shield rattle is typical of many cars as they begin to reach 100,000 miles. It's certainly not unique to Subaru.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I think some large stainless hose clamps would work well to stop heat shield rattle. Removal could be an option if you don't park on hay piles. I would not remove any heat shields that are near CV joint boots or other such materials.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So my suspisions appear to be correct. This is something I'll have to have a look at too. I'll try the clamps first but I was wondering if the covers be bought seperately (from Subabru themselves) or do they only come as part of the exhaust?

·
Registered
17 Posts
My wifes 98 Outback does the same thing. Sad part is I know exactly which ones are doing it, just gotta get a chance to pull it into the garage and fire up the welder and burn them back on:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's strange - mine also does this. I'm starting to think that its the covers on the exhaust (muffler) They look quite rusty and loose to me.

Does anyone know what they are there for, I assume that they are just heat shields. What happens if I take them off to stop the rattling? Will the underside of the car get too hot and burst into flames :confused:

My car's a '99 2.5 manual outback and I'm in the UK
No your car won't likely burst into flames unless you leave it running on top of dry foliage. The worst thing that could happen is you go off the road and end up starting a forest fire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
10 Participants
KryptoKing
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing