Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
gypsy danger: 07 outback 2.5i touring. often broken?
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my 07 2.5 auto has developed a strange rattle while turning right under power.

I've never had a car with CV joints before, and I don't know what sound one makes when one goes, but my understanding is it's more a "click" this sounds like a rock in a tin can. And it's only audible when turning right.

So, is there anything else that will make a similar sound?
How do you test a CV joint for wear?

There is no grease leaking out.
The right side is not a OEM shaft.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Legacy Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT
97 Posts
Checked your end links?

You can check the end links, but 'rock in a tin can' turning under power on the side with an aftermarket axle, sounds like it could be a failed CV joint.

Have it checked immediately. If it is the axle, and it is bad enough to sound like that, it could fail at any time. That could cause a lot more expensive problems.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
While you are trying to figure out what the problem is, you may want to place a jack under the control arm and raise the tire off the ground. Then, try to move the wheel up and down then side to side to check if you may have a bad ball joint or hub assembly.

You can also check your end links at that point.

Aftermarket axles don't hold up well on these cars. I just changed out a pair of front axles I got from NAPA only 6 months ago and one of them had a bunch of play at the inner joint. I found some OEMs from a salvage company with 31K miles for $120/pair.

The front axles aren't that hard to change. You do need an air impact (well, that makes it much easier) and some good sockets. Be sure to mark the bolt's position on the strut before removal so you can get the alignment back when you reinstall! I've done enough work on mine that I can change an axle in about 45 minutes. If you go the route of replacement and haven't done it before, I'd be glad to go through it with you to make the process easier.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked some stuff tonight. Can't find and play in the wheel end, or any movement in the axle or end links. Axle does not click during low speed circles in the parking lot.
Couldn't see anything wrong with engine / trans mounts.

Closer listing and I was wrong, the sound seems deeper than I remember. more pop less rattle, almost a creak to it at first.

Thanks guys. Sorry for the lack of info.

·
Registered
18,150 Posts
Insert the AWD disabling fuse and see if that changes things. As the noise seems to be only on right turns, it's less likely that torque bind due to the AWD system is involved, but this also removes torque from the rear drive train, including the two rear axles with CV joints.

Also, have you considered a failing wheel bearing (hub assembly)? Problematic bearings often are direction/load sensitive, such as making a turn under power.

Just some ideas to broaden the areas of possibility.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
Insert the AWD disabling fuse and see if that changes things. As the noise seems to be only on right turns, it's less likely that torque bind due to the AWD system is involved, but this also removes torque from the rear drive train, including the two rear axles with CV joints.

Also, have you considered a failing wheel bearing (hub assembly)? Problematic bearings often are direction/load sensitive, such as making a turn under power.

Just some ideas to broaden the areas of possibility.
I am there with you Plain OM! As I stated in my earlier post, I think the hub assembly is something I'd focus on too!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I didn't notice any play in the bearing when I had it in the air. other than push-pull the wheel,any good way to test them?
Will be sure to try the fuse As well.

I've got a junkyard axle sitting hear, I will reboot it and have it ready to change if I can't find anything else.

·
Registered
18,150 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did some work today, put the rebooted CV shaft in. Ball joint boot was cracked, so I replaced it while I was in there. Everything seems good now, old shaft had a stiff spot in the outer joint. Very odd.
Thanks for the help guys!!

If anyone reads this in the future, DO NOT remove ball joint from hub unless you have a torch and a lot of time! Getting that pinch bolt out was not a easy task.

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
If anyone reads this in the future, DO NOT remove ball joint from hub unless you have a torch and a lot of time! Getting that pinch bolt out was not a easy task.

Legends tell of cars in the great west who bear no rust...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts