Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, New forum member here. I have a 2011 outback 2.5 premium with 124k miles. Most of the life of this car I have heard rattling coming from my front end, especially on washboard surfaces. I narrowed the cause down to the brakes when I found the noise disappeared while braking. Turns out that Subaru has a fix via a Technical Service Bulletin 06-53-16 dated 5/9/16. It provides part numbers for two front brake support brackets ($50 each). I went to my Bend, Oregon Subaru dealer and they confirmed the TSB and ordered the stated supports. Here is where is gets frustrating. They said all costs would be born by the owner as it was not a recall. I called Subaru of America and was told the same thing. This is clearly a design flaw in the assembly and my belief is that Subaru, if they cared about customers, would replace the parts free of charge. I am calling on all 2010 to 2014 Outback owners to call SOA and lodge your complaint. I told the rep. Subaru is beginning to look and sound like Chevy in the manner in which they treat quality issues. I might not buy a new Subaru just on principle.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
568 Posts
TSB isn't the same as a recall whose costs would normally be covered by the manufacturer. If you are outside the warranty for the vehicle then the burden is on the owner to cover those costs. TSB's are more based on customer complaints and not inherently detrimental to the function of the car, unlike a recall which is a functional defect that could cause harm to the driver. This TSB is not a flaw in the overall design since it still functions as intended, but the side effects of the design are frustrating, hence the TSB if you want it fixed.

This isn't just a Subaru thing, this is basically all manufacturers.

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
168 Posts
Does anyone have the part numbers for the redesigned support brackets please? This rattle has driven me nuts for years!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The numbers that Subaru dealer ordered for mine are as follow: #26225AG120 and #26225AG130. They quoted me $53 each. You can find them online in the $40s

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
168 Posts
Cheers, gonna replace bolts first and maybe add grease to try and confirm the rattle is from the carriers. This rattle has driven me nuts!

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
181 Posts
Do you have a jack and jackstands? I'd consider just doing the repair yourself. It would already be complete given the time it's probably taken you to communicate your dissatisfaction.

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
168 Posts
Yes I do own a Jack and jack stands. I have ordered the carriers. The time I've taken to state my " dissatisfaction" is vastly outweighed by the time taken to replace inner and outer tie rod ends, drop links, anti roll bar bushes, slider pins, front wishbone bushes etc. Please excuse me for trying to get help and advice to fix something on my car, a problem that other people here also seem to have had trouble with.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
181 Posts
Apologies stocker, re read and realized your post was probably not aimed at me.

Correct! I plan to resolve this brake noise as well (and have battled this on another car as well). Glad we have some answers and hope your car drives like new with all that work you've put into it!

Cheers!

·
Registered
77 Posts
As a cheap 7-20 buck start you can replace the slid pin bushing/boots. Alot of times these can wear and cause similar noise. My old WRX did it bad, new slide pin rubber fixed it right up.

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
168 Posts
Ok, replaced caliper carriers, bolts and slider pins..............and it's made no difference. FFS ?

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
168 Posts
Solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It turned out to be the ferkin ball joints. I had checked them several times and never found any movement. They were basically the only things on the front end I hadn't changed, so thought I'd do them, and the rattle is gone. Like my grandad used to say, "It's always the last thing you try that fixes it!" Thanks to all for your help, and thought I'd post for anyone else who's chasing a front rattle. Beer time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, New forum member here. I have a 2011 outback 2.5 premium with 124k miles. Most of the life of this car I have heard rattling coming from my front end, especially on washboard surfaces. I narrowed the cause down to the brakes when I found the noise disappeared while braking. Turns out that Subaru has a fix via a Technical Service Bulletin 06-53-16 dated 5/9/16. It provides part numbers for two front brake support brackets ($50 each). I went to my Bend, Oregon Subaru dealer and they confirmed the TSB and ordered the stated supports. Here is where is gets frustrating. They said all costs would be born by the owner as it was not a recall. I called Subaru of America and was told the same thing. This is clearly a design flaw in the assembly and my belief is that Subaru, if they cared about customers, would replace the parts free of charge. I am calling on all 2010 to 2014 Outback owners to call SOA and lodge your complaint. I told the rep. Subaru is beginning to look and sound like Chevy in the manner in which they treat quality issues. I might not buy a new Subaru just on principle.
Hello,
I have been having the rattling noise issue also on my 2011 Subaru Outback, especially on brick streets. Could you let me know if the rattling noise stopped after the caliper support brackets were installed?
Thank you,
DA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts