Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days after I got my new 2021 Subaru Outback, a rattling/clicking noise started occurring while traversing on rough or scarred pavement at any speed. I first identified the source of the noise as coming from the front anchor of the left passenger seat's coat hanger (pictured). The rattling did not stop when I took the hanger off, held the metal anchor in place, or stuffed the void with foam.

Two months later I realize the rattle occurs when I shut the driver's door WHILE the left passenger door is open. If the left passenger door is closed while the driver's door is closed, the rattle is significantly quieter but not gone. From the inside, the rattle is loud regardless of the scenario.

One picture is me pointing to the source of the sound as heard from the interior.
Another picture is me pointing to the general area of the rattle when closing the driver's door.
One video is the Interior sound of the clicking/rattling while driving.
The other video is the Exterior rattling when the driver door closes (turn the volume up because it's hard to hear).

Has anyone had this problem? Have this problem? Know a solution? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,216 Posts
Someone else reported something similar but never came back to tell us the outcome.

Noises can deceptively sound like they're coming from a place other than their actual source.

I'm going to run down known sources of noise/rattling and yours may not be in this list:
  • Behind the a-pillar a wire may be loose. The dealer has a TSB to fix that.
  • The A/C vent control may rattle. The dealer has a TSB to fix that.
  • The A/C lines inside the engine compartment may be making metal to metal contact against the firewall.
  • There is a small triangular piece of trim at the outside base of the passenger side windshield that may be loose.
  • There is a piece of metal above the eyesight module in the headliner that may rattle. The dealer has a TSB for that.
  • The side curtain air bag area above the front doors may have a rattle.
  • The door seals may emit a chirp on closing - there is a TSB for that with revised door seals.
  • The window regulator design has changed where the glass may not be held straight and can bind (not sure if it ever rattles)
  • Objects in the eyeglass holder or other areas of the car may rattle (not a car defect).

Reactions: kebler and ArF193

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,270 Posts
Thanks to SilverOnyx I realize I have a couple of known issues.

There is a small triangular piece of trim at the outside base of the passenger side windshield that may be loose.
I have that but without known side-effects. I was thinking the next time a open a tube of Silicone Rubber I could use some to hold this triangle in place.

The window regulator design has changed where the glass may not be held straight and can bind (not sure if it ever rattles)
Today I was cleaning the glass and I noticed the driver's side rear passenger window moves when wiping it. It is all the way closed so the movement is lateral. I will check to other windows for this issue.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited 2.5 Hi-Yo, Ice Silver! Away!
302 Posts

There is a small triangular piece of trim at the outside base of the passenger side windshield that may be loose.
I have that but without known side-effects. I was thinking the next time a open a tube of Silicone Rubber I could use some to hold this triangle in place.
Can you post a pic of this piece for further clarification please?

·
Registered
Green 2020 Touring XT Outback
320 Posts
Just get the dealer to replace that piece. I did.

The window regulator design has changed where the glass may not be held straight and can bind (not sure if it ever rattles)
Today I was cleaning the glass and I noticed the driver's side rear passenger window moves when wiping it. It is all the way closed so the movement is lateral. I will check to other windows for this issue.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,216 Posts
Can you post a pic of this piece for further clarification please?
It was drizzling when I took this. The plastic piece is on the outside lower passenger side of the windshield.

Reactions: 782OB278

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,521 Posts
Where are you guys finding out about the contents of all these TSBs? All I can find is an index.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
NHTSA website? They show up the month after they are released. If they get updated they may not show up because the NHTSA grabs the previous month, not the current month. Not all of them show up either… I have a list of ones I want to read and wait until I eventually pay for access at the tech info site.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,521 Posts
NHTSA website? They show up the month after they are released. If they get updated they may not show up because the NHTSA grabs the previous month, not the current month. Not all of them show up either… I have a list of ones I want to read and wait until I eventually pay for access at the tech info site.
Thank you.

Reactions: walker

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,216 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts