Subaru Outback Forums banner

Re-doing software upgrade

960 Views 18 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  smoorman
Is it possible to re-install the latest software upgrade? I did the upgrade and now the system seems flaky, delays in xm radio startup etc. Can a person re-install or go back a version. I looked but it's certainly not obvious. Thanks.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
2020 Onyx
19,435 Posts
You can re-do the USB software installation if the original installation wasn't complete for some reason, but if all your files appear to have been correctly updated based on the file versions displayed after the update, then it might be better to do the memory initialization in dealership mode to "reset" the system but you'll have to re-enter all of your customizations.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can re-do the USB software installation if the original installation wasn't complete for some reason, but if all your files appear to have been correctly updated based on the file versions displayed after the update, then it might be better to do the memory initialization in dealership mode to "reset" the system but you'll have to re-enter all of your customizations.
Is dealership mode accessible to anybody or does it take special equipment?

· Registered
2021 Onyx XT
413 Posts
Is dealership mode accessible to anybody or does it take special equipment?
It is available for everyone, no special equipment required.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked it up but not sure if it will allow me to "redo" the software update. I'll put the latest on a USB device and see what happens. And just for clarity, this is a firmware update, correct?

· Registered
2021 Onyx XT
413 Posts
And just for clarity, this is a firmware update, correct?
Yes, it is a firmware update. I am not aware of any other kind.

· Registered
2021 Onyx XT
413 Posts
It is always referred to as a software update. Even on the display. I've done bios updates many times in the past but this is always referred to as software. Do you know where the file for updating via USB can be found?
Click Here for a thread that explains everything.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Click Here for a thread that explains everything.
While unzipping to my usb drive I keep getting a file error at about 75% complete on "allupd-navi.pkg" file. I'm installing this on a 21 Limited with no navigation. Do I actually need the allupd-navi.pkg. I presume I need to extract the files from the zipped folder?

· Premium Member
2020 Onyx
19,435 Posts
Yes you need every single file. Do not attempt an update with an incomplete set of files!

Delete your file set and download again. Yes all files need to be extracted from the Zip file, and placed in the root of the USB drive (not in a folder).

· Registered
2021 Onyx XT
413 Posts
While unzipping to my usb drive I keep getting a file error at about 75% complete on "allupd-navi.pkg" file. I'm installing this on a 21 Limited with no navigation. Do I actually need the allupd-navi.pkg. I presume I need to extract the files from the zipped folder?
I suggest unzipping the files to your hard drive, then copying the files to the root of the USB drive.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I finally got it. Thanks for all the input.
I had multiple instances of failing to extract files to usb drive. Turns out max file size for fat32 drives is 4gb. Reformatted to exfat to resolve this. I got the files but the car didn't recognize the format.
I ended up formatting to NTFS format. This worked.
The update stayed on 99% or so for 8-10 minutes then said complete. It then said to re-start the car. It made no mention of waiting but I did anyways. I suspect if I had simply re-started when it said to that it would have worked. We'll see how consistent things are but for right now it seems to be acting normally. Thanks again.

· Registered
2021 Onyx XT
413 Posts
I had multiple instances of failing to extract files to usb drive. Turns out max file size for fat32 drives is 4gb. Reformatted to exfat to resolve this. I got the files but the car didn't recognize the format.
I ended up formatting to NTFS format. This worked.
For lurkers...From the TSB.

Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Number Document

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Almost a week later, xm radio is still flaky. Re-doing the OTA upgrade with a USB upgrade resolved everything except the inconsistent xm radio loading. Sometimes it comes on quickly sometimes it's 1/2 hour or anywhere in between. This makes me believe it's a flaky head unit and not just a software issue. I've got an appointment for tomorrow.

· Registered
2022 Outback Onyx XT
53 Posts
Almost a week later, xm radio is still flaky. Re-doing the OTA upgrade with a USB upgrade resolved everything except the inconsistent xm radio loading. Sometimes it comes on quickly sometimes it's 1/2 hour or anywhere in between. This makes me believe it's a flaky head unit and not just a software issue. I've got an appointment for tomorrow.
I had the inconsistent XM loading bug too. I reset the head unit using both the regular settings "reset to default" and the dealer menu "memory initialization". Then applied the latest update. My XM loads consistently within seconds now.

One of the resets took several tries before it successfully completed. You might want to give this a try and see if it solves your XM issue.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went to the dealer today. They reset the system and it seems normal, but I've only started it once. xm came on almost instantly. I'll see how it goes over a couple days. While I was there I had them change the CVT fluid. $305. I just went over 50K miles. I plan on keeping the car for a while.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update on the software. SiriusXM works normal. And it's consistent. xm comes on before the warning screen goes away. Contacts load within moments. I did the usb upgrade but it didn't work. I believe the dealer did the memory initialization and that was the difference. If it's convenient and the dealer will do it under warranty then just let them do it.

USB 3 drive
NSFT format
Correct files unzipped into root directory (no extra files at all)
Memory initialization in dealership mode
software upgrade in dealership mode

Turning car off and walking away with fob for 5 minutes made no difference for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts