Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback Limited
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new genuine starter is about $350. All the parts stores carry aftermarket remanufactured starters for about $100. I can't find a new or remanufactured OEM (Denso).

I've never replaced a starter before. Are the remanufactured ones a waste of money or do they last just as long?

Car is at 150,000 miles. I expect about 225,000 miles out of it so I don't want to spend extra money on a genuine one if it's not needed. Also don't want to replace starters every year.

Car is a 2005 2.5L manual transmission.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,479 Posts
you can get a used (unrebuilt) one too, as not a whole lot of people report swapping them here, watch what goes on 2.5 2005 manuals.
(subaru made a little change here and there).

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,816 Posts
often, they just need contacts and maybe a plunger in the solenoid.

or you could ask around some repair shops for a local rebuilder - they will often use higher quality parts than the suppliers to parts stores.

·
Banned
6,271 Posts
Many reman's come with a lifetime warranty. Go with a reman and just be sure to hang on to your receipt.

·
Registered
2005 3L LL Bean Outback
260 Posts
OEM Reman goes for $ 215 (excluding shipping and taxes, including $50 core): 23300AA48AR1 | Reman Starter

OEM new goes for $ 250 (excluding shipping and taxes, no mention of core): Subaru Part Number 23300AA48A | 2005 Outback R L.L. Bean Edition Starter

Maybe you can find them cheaper elsewhere.

I replaced the starter on my previous (gen2) outback with a used OEM starter I bought for $ 30 from a junkyard. Worked fine for the 50000 miles I drove until I sold the car. Replacing is not that difficult but I recall having to access the starter (bolts or screws) from underneath the car so it's nice if the car can be lifted. Maybe that's not even necessary but that worked for me.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Limited
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
often, they just need contacts and maybe a plunger in the solenoid.

or you could ask around some repair shops for a local rebuilder - they will often use higher quality parts than the suppliers to parts stores.
I know you can replace the contacts in the solenoid on pre-2005 Outbacks with the squadron solenoids.

This is a 2005 with a cylindrical solenoid and the terminal studs are on the ends, not the sides. Do those have replaceable contacts and plungers as well?

·
Registered
2005 Outback Limited
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,816 Posts
looks like you may have the new-ish planetary starter (Mistsubishi ?)

they don't have quite the reputation for needing the solenoid rebuild, but they do sometimes drag in cold weather.

Z28dug's suggestion may be fine. I don't think rebuilt starters are as poor a risk as alternators or axles.

The planetary starter on my WRX drags. I have just been living with it but one interesting thing I was told is that an older style denso will still fit. Not sure what I'm gonna do about it yet.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Limited
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does have planetary gears, but it is made by Denso.

I might see if I can bench test it to see if the pinion moves forward. I've seen comments saying they often need to be torn down and re-greased.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,479 Posts
I was looking at what starters go on these. and 2005-2007 seems to be it.

I have a DB alternator in my 2.5 car. (new and not a rebuilt thing).

this company sells parts for starters / alternators etc.

and starters:
https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/starter-for-subaru-2-5-3-0-legacy-outback-tribeca.html

______

right now I have a used starter picked out of a 2.2 1996 in my 2002 2.5. (just picked out of a deer smashed car rusting in a personal back yard...that I had to walk 50 yards to get to). original just up and quit one day without any bad starts before that, and a pro mechanic tapping on it while I was turning the key did nothing.

and incidently that is a short run of starters there on your car vs. the long run of them in the years before.
(mine is only half as expensive as yours for their asking price).
https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/starter-subaru-outback-2-5l-3-0l-00-01-02-03-04.html

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would buy a new name brand starter like a denso or AC Delco (RockAuto has a Denso for $91). I would not spend the money for an OEM starter they are ridiculously over priced. I would only buy a used one if that was all my budget would support.
Rebuilt starters are usually ok but there is a small chance you may get one that doesn't last.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Oh yeah... I would think the Remy or AC Delco rebuild would have good quality control. I wouldn't be afraid to use them. I don't like that as well as buying a new starter, but chances are they will work out fine.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,479 Posts
All the new ones on rock auto are for automatics :(
subaru seems to sell the same starter for auto and manual on 2005 -07 US spec

the database on rockauto or the aftermarket suppliers maybe having a issue on that.

before mentioned is Denso. (listing for that on rockauto is TYC as new). I guess you could go to the manufactures sites and look it up too. to check the rockauto database for correctness.

I know 2005 is unique on engine, ...don't know about transmissions.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It would be nice to know the difference in the starter for the manual transmission.

I checked NAPA and they also show a different part number for a manual transmission. The NAPA photos show a different drive housing for the manual.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Limited
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The denso/oem part number for a manual is different from an automatic, according to the FSM. The Subaru part number could be the same for all I know, but I believe they are slightly different parts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts