Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Rav4
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
If you are searching for a way to re-rack your 2010 Outback, the San Jose RackNRoad has different options for you. We can easily take apart your vehicle, remove the existing rack and replace it with a stronger, more aesthetically pleasing, more functional, easily adjustable and removable rack than is currently installed.

See the images below.

Contact person is Peter Ensrud for all questions and inquiries.

·
Registered
Betty: White '18 OB 3.6R Ltd, Moonroof, Nav, Eyesight. Barbie III: 2015 OB 3.6R Ltd, Moonroof, Nav, Eyesight, Red/Ivory
157 Posts
Looks nice. How much $$? How much will it carry?

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Rav4
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob 'n Barbie said:
Looks nice. How much $$? How much will it carry?
Will easily hold in excess of 165 pounds.

Cost: Expensive, but depends on which rack system you get to accompany the track.

We typically use Yakima and Thule, and more recently installed the Prorack Whispbar.

All range in price around $900 +/- ( which includes parts, labor and Ca. tax).

This is not the cheap route to go for a new roof rack for the outback. It is a long ordeal that takes skill and know-how, but the end result is amazing. Strong, easily adjustable, easily removable and just plain ROCKS.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
951 Posts
Nice. What about something to cover the rain channel?

·
Registered
2010 Outbook Limited 3.6 Silver Steel, XM
199 Posts
How did they remove the factory rack--?? Did they have to remove the headliner??

·
Registered
84 Posts
dug01 said:
How did they remove the factory rack--?? Did they have to remove the headliner??
When my car was repaired they said you remove the headliner and the factory rack is riveted in.

·
Registered
2010 OB, 2.5i Prem. 6MT // 2008 Tribeca, Limited
43 Posts
This looks a lot like the roof rack standard on the European version of the OB, with just the two low profile bars running down the sides. (Look at the OB on any number of other country's sites through www.Subaru-Global.com)

Then I guess you attach any number of aftermarket cross bars to it.

That's a great option for those that don't like the US rack. Definitely sounds involved. Are you ordering and installing the non-US Subaru roof rack parts, or is this a non-Subaru roof-rack (which may be better anyway)?

I personally like the beefier look of the US roof rack. However, I don't use it much, and don't need the flexibility of moving the crossbars. I can see how the set crossbar separation of the US roof rack could be a problem if you've got bigger items up top.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Well done! I love that company I've been buying stuff from them for years its always been top notch

LOL I wonder if Subaru would review their rack system if all of a sudden owners were shipping their old racks back to them? HA HA

Roof racks are actually very simple always have been. The trick is having high quality metal parts in the gear used so it doesn't rust or fail due to weather and use etc.

·
Registered
'10 Outback 3.6R Ltd
37 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT
109 Posts
outbackpack said:
That's a great option for those that don't like the US rack. Definitely sounds involved.

I personally like the beefier look of the US roof rack. However, I don't use it much, and don't need the flexibility of moving the crossbars.
Agree on the beefier look. For me the system is superb as I only put a couple of whitewater kayaks or the occasional building supplies on mine. I leave all the other hauling to my buddies with trailers.

I've been thinking that there is so much of a bother about the rails among those with sea kayaks and long boxes, that SOA has an opportunity to make it right in 2011: Those beefy rails have ample room before and aft of the current rails to create attachment points for heavier equipment. The holes or fittings for the tower pieces could still be designed to remove/attach easily to keep the integrated look. Doesn't seem like a major deal to make that change on the rails for next year and keep the current system for those of us who like it.

I bet even for groused 2010 owners, the price of a change from current rails to the newly designed rails of my imagination would be competitive with the lovely system Rack Room shows above.

Listening SOA?

·
Registered
2007 WRX Limited Wagon
26 Posts
Peter-

Does this modification involve drilling holes in the roof to mount the tracks?

It sure looks like it would. I've mounted a Yakima track system on the topper of my truck and it required a drilled hole about every six inches.

Are you concerned about the drilled holes compromising the factory rustproofing?

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R
136 Posts
ontheuptick said:
More aesthetically pleasing? I guess that is your opinion. It is certainly not a fact and not my opinion. To each his own.
I'm with you on this one. The mods are functional (which I love) but look a little tacked on. Personally, I would perfer a clean look since my new bike rack will be hitch mount. I wish subaru had left the rack off but included hidden hard points like some european cars.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i Limited w/MoonRoof - Harvest Gold
196 Posts
arizonaadam said:

I'm with you on this one. The mods are functional (which I love) but look a little tacked on. Personally, I would perfer a clean look since my new bike rack will be hitch mount. I wish subaru had left the rack off but included hidden hard points like some european cars.
Yep, I just bought an Outback Sport and I like that the rack bolts on and off. Very clean looking. That is a better way for a smaller car.

·
Registered
05' OB 2.5i
1,042 Posts
Harold B said:

Yep, I just bought an Outback Sport and I like that the rack bolts on and off. Very clean looking. That is a better way for a smaller car.
I noticed those bolt on spots on my buddies WRX. Very cool.

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT 2015
556 Posts
arizonaadam said:

I wish subaru had left the rack off but included hidden hard points like some european cars.
I wonder what is the reason for different rack for US market?

Left US, right Euro

Euro rails look a lot like those on Rack N Road version tho they are higher.
I like the clean look of Rack N Road rails. I wish they would come low like that as original.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
951 Posts
Hakkapeliitta said:

I wonder what is the reason for different rack for US market?

Left US, right Euro

Euro rails look a lot like those on Rack N Road version tho they are higher.
I like the clean look of Rack N Road rails. I wish they would come low like that as original.
It's because we Americans like gimicky/gadgety crap.

:2:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts