Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the idea of replacing the HU in my car, so go easy, please. :)

I have a '11 Outback 2.5i with the factory HK premium HU, and I am mostly please with it. However it doesn't support AD2P which is something I desparately want to use.

The unit I am considering as a replacement is the Pioneer AVH-3400BH, and I would like to re-use the built-in mic for bluetooth. I poked around for a little while on the forums and didn't see anything that said this can or can't be done.

So, has anyone replaced a HU and re-used their existing mic?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm new to the idea of replacing the HU in my car, so go easy, please. :)

I have a '11 Outback 2.5i with the factory HK premium HU, and I am mostly please with it. However it doesn't support AD2P which is something I desparately want to use.

The unit I am considering as a replacement is the Pioneer AVH-3400BH, and I would like to re-use the built-in mic for bluetooth. I poked around for a little while on the forums and didn't see anything that said this can or can't be done.

So, has anyone replaced a HU and re-used their existing mic?
Any luck with this? I'm about to pop in a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH into a '10 with also with the factory HK and want to reuse the BT mic and the media hub inputs in the armrest. I'll keep looking around.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Without changing the wiring around it's not going to just plug in. Most all of the aftermarket mics plug in via an 1/8" jack, and the OEM is wired through the plug. I removed the OEM one and fabbed up a bracket to hold the aftermarket in the OEM spot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Without changing the wiring around it's not going to just plug in. Most all of the aftermarket mics plug in via an 1/8" jack, and the OEM is wired through the plug. I removed the OEM one and fabbed up a bracket to hold the aftermarket in the OEM spot.
Yep. I have officially chickened out (once I started looking closely into connecting the aux from the media hub and connecting the steering wheel controls) and am having a professional handle the install. He said exactly what you said re: the OEM mic. Plus the supplied mic is supposedly a good bit better anyhow.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
It can't be that hard to adapt the existing mic... now, identifying which wires in the harness it lives on might be a trick but once you're past that...

·
Registered
573 Posts
I installed the AVH-P8400BH in my 2011 and I had to use the Pioneer Mic, couldn't figure out a way to use the factory Mic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
NinjaTurtle2.5
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing