1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Premium. 225/65-17
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear defroster problems

Hello all,

I have a new 2018 Outback 2.5 Premium with about 100 miles it. This evening I had a fogged up back window and pushed the rear defrost button, and after 15 minutes there was no change at all. It may sound silly, but am I missing something here? It's as simple as push the little back window defrost button right?

Also, I went to put the integrated cross bars into place for a new roof basket I purchased, but the hole it drops into is off a bit and it won't snap in. I'll have to have Subaru fix it as it is raised up one side of the opening. Odd deal so far.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,531 Posts
No magic; the rear defogger should just be a matter of pushing the button on the dash (assuming the engine is running, or the ignition is at least turned to 'run'). By default, it will turn itself off after 15 minutes or so, but this can be changed to stay on indefinitely - check your owner's manual ("Instruments and controls/Defogger and deicer" or something like that). Does the indicator light on the control switch turn on? Maybe check the fuse; otherwise, take it to the dealer.

Does the crossbar fit in the hole, but just not bottom out enough to latch? Or does it not go go into the hole at all? I presume it latches when in the stowed position, so the problem isn't in the latch itself.

Things like this are a nuisance, and disappointing, but sometimes something just doesn't work right at first; that's what warranties are for. Both of these should be relatively to address, but if the service guy says "show me" on the rear defog, you might have to come in at a time when it's dewy out. Maybe have a mister bottle to spray the window on hand (you may want to play with at home this first).

Sorry for your troubles, but welcome to the forum! Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I appreciate the reply. It could be user error on the defogger with my learning curve on the climate control functions. I'll investigate that myself a bit first.

The crossbar fits in the hole fine, but does't latch all the way down. The inner ring of the hole sits a bit raised on one edge, and that keeps the handle for the crossbar from going all the way down.

I'll stop by the dealer this week and check it out. Love the car otherwise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking a bit closer I see that the rear defroster is warming up just fine as the window is getting warm. I haven't owned a vehicle this long before and didn't realize there aren't vents for the back window to assist in it drying off quicker. I'll just roll the rear windows down a bit and that'll do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts