Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car - 1996 Legacy Brighton w/ 2.2 and automatic.

Reader - Innova 3160g

Finally hooked the reader up to the car to check what the engine light is squawking about ( it's only been on for 2 years! :) )

Started the linking to the code file, but for the Legacy it asked whether it was BK, BG, or B somethingorother. Am I correct that the "BK" refers to the BK in the VIN? It seems to, since when I selected it, it came up with the correct engine.

If that is correct, it came up with a code for the knock sensor to be checked.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,418 Posts
Started the linking to the code file, but for the Legacy it asked whether it was BK, BG, or B somethingorother. Am I correct that the "BK" refers to the BK in the VIN? It seems to, since when I selected it, it came up with the correct engine.
Correct; positions 4 ad 5 in the VIN are the Line type and Body type, respectively. Explained here:

And here I thought from te title that you were forming an online book club or some such thing - pretty sensible way to go about it, I suppose, giv the world situation!

·
Registered
'98 Outback
229 Posts
The KS is a pretty common failure. The case is probably cracked. I bought my '98 at a discount because of that code. The PO had just changed the head gasket and was tired of dealing with it. I paid $10 for the part on eBay. A pair of 12" needle nose pliers made it easy to get to. Been working for over six years.

I thought the same thing when I saw the title.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Always best to verify.

And here I thought from te title that you were forming an online book club or some such thing - pretty sensible way to go about it, I suppose, giv the world situation!

That's funny - I never would have thought that!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts