1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
For 99% of drivers, nope.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have tested both over the years, in normal driving condition you can't tell the difference. Only when the going gets really rough (my experience is in deep snow) that you start noticing some differences. IMHO the manual 50/50 split feel more predictable on slippery roads.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Having a 2013 Outback with the manual transmission, I'd say make your decision based on the transmission that you want, not on the technicalities of the AWD system. All of Subaru's AWD systems are good-to-go.

I'd say test drive a 6mt and a CVT to see which you like the best. Just keep in mind that my Outback took about 1,000 miles before the clutch friction zone starting feeling good. It is even better at 3,000 miles. Off idle engine response also takes a few hundred miles before it improves and/or you get used to it. Finally, don't test drive a 2012 6mt Outback if you are going to buy a 2013 since they improved the shifter throw for 2013.

With that being said, unless you have a special love for manual transmissions, get the CVT since you'd probably be happier with it (like most people).

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
I daily-drive a 5spd WRX on secondary roads. There are times I get tired of rowing through the gears.

If you're mostly on the highway - doesn't matter. If you're on side-roads a lot, get the CVT.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
The difference in traction between Subaru's AWD systems is less than the difference between different kinds of tires.

In other words, get the transmission you want to drive all the time, and replace tires (if needed) to tailor the car to your needs.

You can get fantastic traction from the right tires on a lesser AWD system, and you can get hopelessly stuck with the best AWD and a poor tire choice.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I have tested both over the years, in normal driving condition you can't tell the difference. Only when the going gets really rough (my experience is in deep snow) that you start noticing some differences. IMHO the manual 50/50 split feel more predictable on slippery roads.
Actually if you speak with anyone who has owned the MT and the CVT and live or make lots of trips to snow country you will find out that all of us find the CVT or for that matter most AT's to be far far more forgiving on slick down hill sections over the MT.

The basics of it are quite simple the AT's have far more logic happening regarding traction and which wheels have it and which do not. The MT is for the most part a dumb system and its up to the driver to sort out when the rear end is breaking loose and what needs to be done. Which case in my MT the subaru will step out and get sideways on slick down hill runs even when just letting off the throttle a tad - the only way to fix this is to give it a touch of throttle to square up the car then press the clutch in. My wife and most people have the wrong reaction which is to get off the throttle more and to touch the brake which will almost certainly put you in the snow bank pointed the wrong direction.

The CVT does not do this it reduces the engine braking load on the rear tires helping keep the car square and happy. So from an ease of handling in poor conditions the CVT and the 5spd AT are far far superior than the MT when driven by your typical driver.

The MT with the 50/50 fairly fixed and dumb system is nice when powering through bad road or a parking lot full of snow - however drop the CVT into 1st or 2nd manual mode and its behavior is very much the same as the MT regarding AWD capability - given you have a torque converter working for you the CVT when in Manual mode is actually FAR more capable of climbing steep technical stuff with zero issues vs the MT turning into a clutch burning experience.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Having a 2013 Outback with the manual transmission, I'd say make your decision based on the transmission that you want, not on the technicalities of the AWD system. All of Subaru's AWD systems are good-to-go.

I'd say test drive a 6mt and a CVT to see which you like the best. Just keep in mind that my Outback took about 1,000 miles before the clutch friction zone starting feeling good. It is even better at 3,000 miles. Off idle engine response also takes a few hundred miles before it improves and/or you get used to it. Finally, don't test drive a 2012 6mt Outback if you are going to buy a 2013 since they improved the shifter throw for 2013.

With that being said, unless you have a special love for manual transmissions, get the CVT since you'd probably be happier with it (like most people).
VERY TRUE the improvement of the clutch with time. Even at 5000 miles I think it's better than 3000. Actually it improved drastically once that, due to a difficult maneuver on a hill, I slipped a little bit too much. Apparently that did good to it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
10 Participants
LucaPCP
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing