Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I changed the drivers side low beam bulb. Had to remove the battery to replace it. Hooked the battery back up , cranked the OB let it sit and idle while the nav.screen rebooted.Backed it out my garage down the driveway a bit and then pulled it back in the garage.No problems, shut it off,and did not crank it again till Monday morning.

This is where it gets interesting.Engine light was on,Abs, cruise control, awd light was on, no AC . What the heck. This is what I was told by a mechanic,I did not let the OB run long enough for the computer to fully reboot. It ran fine no problems with motor or Trans.

So when the wife gets home I am going disconnect the battery again , reconnect,and drive it for 20min.?

Anyone?

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Shouldn't need to disconnect the battery again. Just get in and drive it. Yes takes a little bit for the computer to get caught back up with things.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shouldn't need to disconnect the battery again. Just get in and drive it. Yes takes a little bit for the computer to get caught back up with things.
The wife has a 50 mile commute one way,just talked to her , everything is still wacky!������

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5, Ice Silver Metallic.
92 Posts
I have a question and its purely from ignorance on my part but why do you have to disconnect the battery to change a light bulb. I have changed my fair share of headlights and tail lights and never disconnected the battery to do so. Just seems like major overkill to go thru that whole step, what is the point ?

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
619 Posts
I have a question and its purely from ignorance on my part but why do you have to disconnect the battery to change a light bulb. I have changed my fair share of headlights and tail lights and never disconnected the battery to do so. Just seems like major overkill to go thru that whole step, what is the point ?
You remove the battery to get to the low beam lamp on the driver side. Fun!

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
619 Posts
Check Engine Lights generaly clear out after a short time. Read and clear the code to see what's going on. local parts store should have a code reader you can use. pulling the battery will also reset it. Just pull up the negative terminal, step on the brake pedal couple of times just let the back lights drain any remaining power in capacitors, and reclonnect it. when you start it up next time, put the key into the on position and let it sit for about 10 seconds, and then start the car.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT
56 Posts
I agree with what OP said he was going to do. Disconnect the battery and if possible leave it disconnected for at least 10 minutes or more. When you connect the battery you seldom get a single power connection to the computer, rather you get a series of connect-disconnect-connect-disconnect-connect as you are attaching and tightening the cable. An automotive computer is like any other computer in that it's possible to get a glitch or an erroneous bit of data set somewhere, and the computer may just need to be reset again. Try to be careful to make a firm contact and maintain it as you are tightening down the cable. Then turn the ignition on and let it sit without starting the car for at least 30 seconds, then start the car. I agree you should then drive the car so it completes a full warm up cycle and the computer has ample chance to readjust to everything.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, fixed the problem! Thank goodness! Disconnected the battery again,reconnected positive lead first, then cranked it , all was back to normal , drove it for about 10 miles.

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
Should have gone yo the dealer.. that is a warranty item I believe.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,103 Posts
Yeah, the dealer will replace headlight bulbs under warranty. I also don't recall seeing how removing the battery will give the room needed to get to the bulb from the engine bay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts