Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback -
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how can this be in this day and age with Kutrillions of Iphones out there. The USB jack in my 2013 Outback WILL NOT charge my iphone? yet I can stream music through the blue tooth.

I'm in sales and I'm %ked& if I can't charge my phone while I'm driving.:28:

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i/CVT/Graphite Gray
52 Posts
It's not an Apple charger. It's a standard USB port. The standard does not specify pumping out the power required to charge mobile devices.

Go buy a $10 12V -> USB charger adapter and use that and it will rapid charge.

I have one with 2 USB jacks, both of which can supply enough power to rapid charge an iPad.

The 12V jack is right next to the USB port.. kind of hard to miss.

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,072 Posts
Apple hasn't played nice with normal usb chargers for quite some time.
They need more than just + 5V and ground for charging.
The device reads off the data lines D+ and D-.
If the charging circuit doesn't match what it wants it will reject the charger.

You can read about how many different iterations they have gone through here.
Ignoring the mintyboost part and looking at what components needed to be implemented on the data lines.
Its a good resource for those that like to tinker.
MintyBoost - The mysteries of Apple device charging

·
Registered
2013 Outback -
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not an Apple charger. It's a standard USB port. The standard does not specify pumping out the power required to charge mobile devices.

I have one with 2 USB jacks, both of which can supply enough power to rapid charge an iPad.

I saw that -- I just couldn't believe the USB didn't charge... Every other car does.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium CVT
297 Posts
I saw that -- I just couldn't believe the USB didn't charge... Every other car does.
If you have your iphone connected via the usb port in the center console it won't charge initially. But if you scroll through the modes and go back to usb mode on the radio, it will start charging. It's a pain in the butt, but it's the only way I've found that works.

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
I had a problem charging and syncing my first iPhone from my PC and some other USB chargers that I had. Then I found a little device from BoxWave that solved the problem. Maybe it would work here too.

iPhone Charging Adapter

·
Registered
2013 Outback Premium - 6spd manual
155 Posts

This one works very well!

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i CVT in White, Codename: Ditto.
82 Posts
So, how can this be in this day and age with Kutrillions of Iphones out there. The USB jack in my 2013 Outback WILL NOT charge my iphone? yet I can stream music through the blue tooth.

I'm in sales and I'm %ked& if I can't charge my phone while I'm driving.:28:
The jack charges my Motorola Citrus.

Is the amperage for an iPhone higher?

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
The jack charges my Motorola Citrus.

Is the amperage for an iPhone higher?
Yep.

I think the real question here for the OP is... why didn't you get a Droid? :D

iPhones are picky about how they are charged. My Droid I can plug into just about any power source and it will happily charge.

·
Registered
2013 limited Outback 2.5i, pzev, rear seat protectors, Venetian red pearl, all weather floor mats, rear cargo net, viper remote start, puddle lights, body side molding,
39 Posts
Charges my 4s just fine...do you have a 5?

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's not a problem with the plug, it will charge an iphone (at least my 4s) The problem is with something else, i think it's a software issue. The iphone can't "talk" with the car using both the blue tooth and the usb at the same time. I can stream audio and make and receive phone calls using blue tooth. I can turn off bluetooth, plug in the phone into the usb jack and stream audio and charge.

I can not connect with blue tooth (so the phone is available for hands free), and plug into the usb port to stream audio/charge. Just doesn't work. I think it's a communication issue where bluetooth trumps everything else if it's on. So i don't think there are any issues with the power available for charging or stuff like that.

I do know my manual mentioned there wasn't enough juice to charge an iPad, but that charger provides 2x the amps of a standard iphone charger.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i CVT Premium - Black
31 Posts
It charges my 4S, but won't talk to it. It streams but I have to use the iPhone instead of the interface to select songs, albums, etc., just like you would via the aux input. Haven't noticed whether its affected by Bluetooth or not. howver, it doesn't seem to charge as fast as using the cigarette lighter / adapter plug.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
My 4 charges as well but you have to have it in USB mode or it won't go. I can leave BT for phone but if you're streaming music it won't charge. It plays music just fine through USB so when I need to charge it I just let it play using USB. My OB is a 2012.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,182 Posts

Which one do you have - I can only find them where one of the two ports only is able to charge an ipad.

I am pretty sure the OB I just got DOES charge my ipod and iphone when I hook up to the USB port. Maybe it is when I have selected the USB mode.

I dont like the bluetooth for my music as I dont like that it just automatically starts playing when I get in the car. I like a little more control than that. ;) I dont necessarily want to hear the song I was listening to the day before when I left the car.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
Here is what I am using

It provides 2.1 amps to both ports. Works great for fast charging my iPhone or charging my iPad.

While ideally it would be nice if the USB port provided did everything, in any case it's not going to provide very quick charging at just .5a. Plus you can charge 2 items at once.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,182 Posts
Here is what I am using

Amazon.com: SCOSCHE usbc202m VOLT c2 - Dual 10 Watt (2.1A) USB Car Charger - Car Charger - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

It provides 2.1 amps to both ports. Works great for fast charging my iPhone or charging my iPad.

While ideally it would be nice if the USB port provided did everything, in any case it's not going to provide very quick charging at just .5a. Plus you can charge 2 items at once.

ahhhh all my looking on Amazon last weekend and didnt see that. Oh well - I already ordered one.

Does anyone know if the ipad mini uses the ipad power requirements (2.1a) or the iphone requirement. I know the connector is different - though maybe all the new stuff is 2.1a - the iphone 5? I have an iphone 4S but my girl has an ipad mini.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
I have an iPhone 5 and it came with the normal square Apple charger. So I can only assume it uses the normal iPhone voltage. But it will recognize a higher wattage (iPad) charger and definitely charges faster with it.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
Mine is a 4s as well. I will monkey with the settings like the fella above mentioned and see what happens.

Get a Droid? Nooooo Waaaaa:gasp:
I have to use both. My personal phone is an HTC Inspire 4G that has been hacked to be upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich, it is due for replacement very very soon. My work phone is an iPhone 4. While there are a couple things it does better than my droid, overall I just prefer the feel and ease of use of my droid. Maybe its because I've been using my droid for years and this is my first experience with an iPhone, but it just does not make logical sense to me how a lot of things are layed out. Also, that stupid front button is annoying. I guess there is no way to turn it off... it keeps turning the phone on and engaging the voice control in my pocket.

Oh well, didn't intend to start an argument.

/end derail.

Oh, ps. The iPad2 they gave me for this project I'm doing at work is the most useless thing I've ever used.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
212 Posts
Never an issue charging my iPhone 4s.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts