Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Crimson Red Pearl
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:3: After owning my 2018 Outback for 2 months, 547 miles and local driving only, I have an oil leak. Not happy. Can't tell where. Calling the dealer's service department on Monday - they can deal with it. I expected better. Much better.

Reactions: r3ds4nd

·
Registered
75 Posts
Got to get 'em out and beat 'em a bit while they are young! Flush out any weaknesses and make sure the dealer gets the car dialed in solid. 7 weeks in and we have 5000km on ours and the only thing that we've been able to come up with is a off-the-rails cubby door return mechanism. I'm talking about the little door just ahead of the gearshift. Big deal. Otherwise a very solid car in terms of initial quality here. I've also been pretty impressed with the drive quality too. I was a bit pouty at first coming out of an Audi S4, but you can hoon about a bit in the OB. The fun is had at a lower velocity too, which is a good thing I guess too. We're happy to be able to enjoy a far wider of driving in the OB a well including some forestry road adventures.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
This would be what a warranty is for.

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
658 Posts
That really isn't acceptable.

Please let us know what they find.

And keep track of the paper work in case you need to use Lemon Laws.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Take a picture of the paper label on the front of the timing chain cover or tell me the numbers on it.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Touring
1,413 Posts
Rolls Royce, BMW, Cadillac, Infinity, Lexus:
They all come with warranties and all the dealers have hoists and tools.
They are all made by Man, and they all can have issues.
No different than Subaru.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,254 Posts
If it left a huge pool of oil in your garage, then I'd say you're justified to be upset. If it's a minor leak, then just put down some cardboard and relax until they figure out the cause - could very well be something simple. I'd be more concerned if an oil leak came out of nowhere on a vehicle with 5,000 miles rather than 500. Slip ups in QC happen, and this is when they get shaken out.

·
Registered
2010 White cvt 2.5 Limited with moonroof
83 Posts
I know sh** happens, but why me? Believe me, I know how it feels. My JMLS (just-my-luck syndrome) kicked in @ 646 miles on my wifes's Honda Pilot 4wd Touring.The dealership service advisor had no clue on where the oil leak came from.That was their first case for a very low mileage vehicle. I left the SUV for them to inspect and repair, but they would not give me a loaner car. WTH? I was furious! I told them your sister company, Acura, provides loaner cars just for minor services and all warranty works! I was told that was their policy. I ended up calling American Honda and opened a case. They,too, was dumbfounded about the oil leak of a new car @ less than 700 miles. I was told they have to fly their engineer to inspect the issue. So I got my rental car. I did not stop there. I asked American Honda to comp me with extended warranty. The answer was no, we'll give you $500 honda giftcard. I negotiated to $750 and of course I was still mad....ugh. Brand new car and this sh**....

Just almost three weeks ago, my 20 y.o. nephew took in his 2015 WRX (got it new) for warranty service. A few days later bam!....sparkplug damaged the engine. The local Subaru dealer would not give him a rental car. He was told they have to call American Subaru. More than week later, no action from the dealership. Maybe because of his appearance? He looks so young and asian (LOL). OR maybe they are still trying to figure out who's to pay for the new engine? I advised my nephew to call Subaru direct and open a case.Subaru promised he'll get a rental car tomorrow. I would probably end up assisting grasshopper from this on forward....

I know, I know...that's what the warranty is for. Trust me, you would not be saying that IF this sh** happens to you. Oh, yeah. It's OKAY to be mad. But then again, different people, different reactions.

To the OP, I hope you get it fixed soon, be provided with a loaner car, and get a comp card the least. Good luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know sh** happens, but why me? Believe me, I know how it feels. My JMLS (just-my-luck syndrome) kicked in @ 646 miles on my wifes's Honda Pilot 4wd Touring.The dealership service advisor had no clue on where the oil leak came from.That was their first case for a very low mileage vehicle. I left the SUV for them to inspect and repair, but they would not give me a loaner car. WTH? I was furious! I told them your sister company, Acura, provides loaner cars just for minor services and all warranty works! I was told that was their policy. I ended up calling American Honda and opened a case. They,too, was dumbfounded about the oil leak of a new car @ less than 700 miles. I was told they have to fly their engineer to inspect the issue. So I got my rental car. I did not stop there. I asked American Honda to comp me with extended warranty. The answer was no, we'll give you $500 honda giftcard. I negotiated to $750 and of course I was still mad....ugh. Brand new car and this sh**....

Just almost three weeks ago, my 20 y.o. nephew took in his 2015 WRX (got it new) for warranty service. A few days later bam!....sparkplug damaged the engine. The local Subaru dealer would not give him a rental car. He was told they have to call American Subaru. More than week later, no action from the dealership. Maybe because of his appearance? He looks so young and asian (LOL). OR maybe they are still trying to figure out who's to pay for the new engine? I advised my nephew to call Subaru direct and open a case.Subaru promised he'll get a rental car tomorrow. I would probably end up assisting grasshopper from this on forward....

I know, I know...that's what the warranty is for. Trust me, you would not be saying that IF this sh** happens to you. Oh, yeah. It's OKAY to be mad. But then again, different people, different reactions.

To the OP, I hope you get it fixed soon, be provided with a loaner car, and get a comp card the least. Good luck.
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took it in to the dealer this morning. Initial assessment...can't find the leak. They are going to clean the area up, keep it overnight and watch to see where the leak is coming from. More to follow....

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
I have an oil leak.
How do you know? That's not a symptom, that's a diagnosis - symptoms are sometimes more helpful.

Initial assessment...can't find the leak.
Fluid is either there or it is not - so if they can't find the leak then...???

Fluid loss is not an oil leak.
All fluids are not oil, or they are not "engine oil"
If you saw oil/fluid - take a picture.

I expected better. Much better.
totally get that frustration with such low miles.

that said, it's not a surprise for new vehicles to have issues, statistically most are just likely to never experience it, but it happens to all manufacturers. this isn't a "subaru" issue, it's a "every mechanical system has a failure rate" issue. we do hope some manufacturers have fewer than others, but none have bribed the laws of physics yet...VW should give it a try...

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
246 Posts
The obvious questions ...

Did you change the oil?
Did you top off the oil?
Was another car parked in the same spot?
Are you sure its oil?
Somebody just purchased a Rogue or CRV and envious of your Outback and dropped some oil to make you feel bad ;)

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,853 Posts
Is it possible you are mistaking water droppings for an oil leak? That can happen when it rains.

·
Registered
'15 OB 3.6 Limited - Tungsten Metallic
91 Posts
someone mentioned on this site that leaks and owning a subie go hand in hand. trolls that probably work for SOA.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The obvious questions ...

Did you change the oil?
Did you top off the oil?
Was another car parked in the same spot?
Are you sure its oil?
Somebody just purchased a Rogue or CRV and envious of your Outback and dropped some oil to make you feel bad ;)
Did you change the oil? -- No. I have only had it for 2 months w/550 miles on it.
Did you top off the oil? -- No. Still the same as it came from the dealer.
Was another car parked in the same spot? -- No.
Are you sure its oil? Sure smells like it and looks like it. Didn't try tasting it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts