Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a good writeup on the legacy forums. Dealership wants $360 to put pads in. I cannot swallow that. I am going to freeze out in the cold and do my own but I wanted to make sure that I don't ruin my calipers.

I am told the service manual says to use the subaru computer to put the brakes in maintenance mode. Can I bypass this by unhooking the car battery and the electronic brake connector?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
568 Posts
Yes you can bypass it by disconnecting the battery. You will need to rent a brake caliper compressor kit (see photo) from your local auto parts store to retract the piston (find the correct dowel-face that fits on the piston and rotate clockwise to press the piston back). Otherwise it's very easy to do; just did all the brakes on mine.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,110 Posts
... (find the correct dowel-face that fits on the piston and rotate clockwise to press the piston back).
Does that mean rotate clockwise for both left and right rear calipers? The Legacy/Outback FSM doesn't address this, and some other rear calipers I've encountered (non-Subaru) were mirror images of each other, using both right-hand and left-hand threads depending on which side of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
359 Posts
Does that mean rotate clockwise for both left and right rear calipers? The Legacy/Outback FSM doesn't address this, and some other rear calipers I've encountered (non-Subaru) were mirror images of each other, using both right-hand and left-hand threads depending on which side of the vehicle.
Remember when lug nuts were like that. Seems like Chrysler was the last to do that.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
568 Posts
If I recall correctly, both were rotated clockwise to set the piston back and it didn't take many turns (it'll be quite apparent once you start turning if it is compressing or expanding out). Although this was over a month ago and my memory has been known to hiccup...

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Do these work?:
https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/brake-tool/oem-rear-disc-brake-cube-for-use-with-3-8-in-drive-tool/2363_0_0

That's what you could use when Subaru had retractable calipers around the 1980's and i still use one on my XT6.

You can also creatively engage the piston face indentations with pliers...but that's probably not easy for a first timer and may depend on the availability/assortment of pliers.

i bought a kit that looks nearly the same (parts, casing, color) as posted above like a decade ago and it broke on my first or second attempt - i think the end of the threaded rod broke.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Remember when lug nuts were like that. Seems like Chrysler was the last to do that.
Remember them well. If I recall correctly Chrysler finally ran out of left handed lugs in 1970. My '69 Road Runner had them, my '70 did not.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R
69 Posts
Remember them well. If I recall correctly Chrysler finally ran out of left handed lugs in 1970. My '69 Road Runner had them, my '70 did not.
My '70 Dart had left-hand lugs also, so for the A Bodies the supply lasted a bit longer.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
i always assumed those were from an earlier era than that. so you'd just have "know" and remember which vehicles had them and which did not or was it obvious?

i wonder if people were swapping what they had on hand/parts cars and ended up with different threaded lugs on the same wheel!? would that be possible? :laugh:

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
i always assumed those were from an earlier era than that. so you'd just have "know" and remember which vehicles had them and which did not or was it obvious?

i wonder if people were swapping what they had on hand/parts cars and ended up with different threaded lugs on the same wheel!? would that be possible? :laugh:
On the Chrysler products, the lugs had an 'L' stamped on them and if I recall correctly the end of stud also had an 'L' stamped on it.

More than one person broke a stud not realizing they were left handed.

You could always replace the studs to right handed studs if one so desired. I supposed one could be obnoxious and alternate the studs on each wheel between left and right....thinking about it I find that possibility rather humorous.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts