Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 3.6R with Tech, Crystal White
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up the new OB two weeks ago and just noticed that the dealer installed bumper protector has lifted exposing a 1/4” gap that is sure to get filled with all kinds of road crap. I called my Salesman and he said they will fix it. My question is; can these be removed without damaging the paint?

Attachments

·
Registered
Outback 1: 2015 2.5i Limited. Option 23, PP5, Hitch. Ice Silver. Outback 2: 2015 2.5i Limited, Option 23, PP5, Carbide Gray.
1,022 Posts

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
They will need to remove it and reinstall. I have installed one on each of my wife's Foresters.

It is only held on by two lengths of 3M double sided tape. Appears they pushed the protector two far forward during the install causing the lip of the cover not to sit flush on the bumper cover.

Should be an easy repair.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,298 Posts
They will need to remove it and reinstall.
They may have to put a new one on, depending upon how sticky the tape on the underside is. If you put it on according to the instructions, then this can't happen, simply because you only peel part of the tape off first while you make sure it's positioned right, THEN you peel the rest of the tape off while it's down. (There's tabs that stick out that make this easy to do. I may have even done this a few times myself just because our shop was closed.)

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,204 Posts
Picked up the new OB two weeks ago and just noticed that the dealer installed bumper protector has lifted exposing a 1/4” gap that is sure to get filled with all kinds of road crap. I called my Salesman and he said they will fix it. My question is; can these be removed without damaging the paint?
Should be able to remove it with no problems damaging the paint.
Should.

However, there have been threads from others who have had problems with peeling paint on the white bumper covers so anything is possible. The only reason pulling it off would peel the paint is if the paint is defective to begin with. Most likely there won't be any problems though.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Touring 6MT, 2014 GSW TDI 6MT
96 Posts
Odd, this just happened to our 2016 OB as well. Stop at Canadian Tire on the way home to grab some 3M tape and Re & Re this weekend.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 3.6R with Tech, Crystal White
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Odd, this just happened to our 2016 OB as well. Stop at Canadian Tire on the way home to grab some 3M tape and Re & Re this weekend.
I feel like I'm at Canadian Tire every day! I actually have an appointment with the dealer next week. They said they will look after it.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
During trip to Europe at the Subaru dealership in Poland.
We never get to keep any nice things with you kids in the house!

The only side effect to that bumper protector; the car smells like stuffed cabbage and sauerkraut. (JOKE! I am Polish so I can say that)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts