Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Toyota Camry 2001 LE
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the fence once again and looking to purchase an Outback 2013 2.5 Limited with Moonroof.

My question is regarding the rear bumper underguard and what exactly does it do? and is it worth to add it or should i just leave it out?

·
Registered
'13 Ouback 3.6 limited
63 Posts
Supposedly it provides protection. For me, like most everything else, it looked good and matched the front.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I recall that it is just a flimsy piece of thin tin that gets mounted to the plastic bumper cover and is as Irjet55 puts it a good match to the painted silver plastic on the front end.

If you like the look get it. If you think it provides some other function save your money.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I have one. It's purely cosmetic, I highly doubt that it would protect the bumper from much of anything and would scrape/scratch as easily as the underlying bumper.

It wasn't very expensive and not very hard to install (for me), so I put one on b/c it matches the front bumper guard to bring things together. I think it looks good also w/ my stainless exhaust tips.

·
Registered
15MY 2.5i w/ES
592 Posts
If you like the way it looks, then you need to figure out if the looks are worth the cost.

No matter the option, on any vehicle, it worth it if the buyer feels it is.

It's your call...

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited
25 Posts
Supposedly it provides protection. For me, like most everything else, it looked good and matched the front.
+1

I got it purely for the looks + it's already been dinged, gouged, and scratched up due to my stupidity. :D

·
Registered
438 Posts
Besides the rugged looks the underguard can HIDE old dings, gouges and scratches or absorb NEW dings, gouges and scratches then simply replaced to look new again.

·
Registered
2012 OB 2.5 Limited CVT Satin White, Nav, Roof, bodyside moldings, rear bumper underguard, 3M Paint Protection
121 Posts
I completely echo the sentiments that it's the purest of cosmetic add-ons which accents the tail while providing a bit of visual balance against the similar front-end trim of the Limited. Clearly, nobody needs it.....not everyone would want it (in particular, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who's planning to go off road).....but I myself like (and am happy I purchased) it.

BTW, in response to Subie's comment above, the underguard you see photographed to the left of this post is definitely made from plastic.

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts
I completely echo the sentiments it's a purely cosmetic add-on which dresses up the tail while providing a bit of visual balance against the similar trim front-end trim piece of the Limited.
Maybe it's just my age and short term memory lose but if you can't see both the back and front end at the same time then does it really make any difference if they match? :)

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
Maybe it's just my age and short term memory lose but if you can't see both the back and front end at the same time then does it really make any difference if they match? :)
You must not have OCD.:rolleyes: I'm still trying to figure out how cut and trim one with a factory hitch.;)

·
Registered
2014 BMW 328xi Sport Wagon, 1984 Avanti 5.0 HO V8
92 Posts
Strictly personal preference. No function.
If my car had come with those, I would have painted them black with Plasti-dip, like I did to my grille and foglights.

·
Registered
2012 OB 2.5 Limited CVT Satin White, Nav, Roof, bodyside moldings, rear bumper underguard, 3M Paint Protection
121 Posts
Well, I can see them at the same time.....can't you ?? :2:

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,061 Posts
I've thought about getting it since it would match the front. You'll have to remove (or at least cut it) if you have or want a hitch.
Subaru says this and the factory hitch are mutually exclusive because of that. That's not to say someone won't try it, but because of the way it installs it may be a problem.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
Besides the rugged looks the underguard can HIDE old dings, gouges and scratches or absorb NEW dings, gouges and scratches then simply replaced to look new again.
I think this is the point of the underguard. It is cheaper than the bumper itself to replace if it takes damage. Much like a screen protector on a smartphone. It makes sense in that context.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Something tells me the trim is not available outside the USA.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Why do you say that? Looking at the Outback on SUBARU GLOBAL it seems they use the same rear bumper cover. In fact, looking at the accessories on that page it IS there, though it's named differently.
I said that because Outbacks sold outside the USA come without the chunky SUV cladding Americans are so fond of. The underguard is a spin-off of that trendy cladding. My apologies if European OB's also have the same bumper.

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts
Well, I can see them at the same time.....can't you ?? :2:
Only after I wrap my OB around a telephone pole or when I'm looking at my OB in the sixth dimension.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Rear Hitch

If you install 2" aftermarket hitch, you don't have to cut anything, even if you have the bumper guard. I have done it on my OB. Hitch sits flush with the bumper guard. Some people don't want to drill access hole for the aftermarket hitch bolts but you don't really need to do that - you can remove rear bumper and access the bolts/nuts from there.
In my opinon, it's better than Subaru hitch because it's 2" (I think Subaru's is 1 1/2"). You can get one for appx $ 160.00 at any U-Haul and have it installed for appx $ 50.00 (that is what I have done). Then, get wiring plug and harness from e-trailer.com (specifically for Subaru application) and it plugs right into the existing hitch plug (under driver's side read deck/panel behind the rear seat).
As far as bumper guard, I have it and "yes" indeed it's a cosmetic item, same as read deck/gate window deflector (I've removed mine from my 2010 Forester).

1 - 20 of 51 Posts