Subaru Outback Forums banner

rear bumper underguard what is it and is it worth it?

40K views 50 replies 25 participants last post by  jogosub 
#1 ·
I'm on the fence once again and looking to purchase an Outback 2013 2.5 Limited with Moonroof.

My question is regarding the rear bumper underguard and what exactly does it do? and is it worth to add it or should i just leave it out?

#6 ·
+1

I got it purely for the looks + it's already been dinged, gouged, and scratched up due to my stupidity. :D

#3 ·
I recall that it is just a flimsy piece of thin tin that gets mounted to the plastic bumper cover and is as Irjet55 puts it a good match to the painted silver plastic on the front end.

If you like the look get it. If you think it provides some other function save your money.

#4 ·
I have one. It's purely cosmetic, I highly doubt that it would protect the bumper from much of anything and would scrape/scratch as easily as the underlying bumper.

It wasn't very expensive and not very hard to install (for me), so I put one on b/c it matches the front bumper guard to bring things together. I think it looks good also w/ my stainless exhaust tips.

#8 ·
I completely echo the sentiments that it's the purest of cosmetic add-ons which accents the tail while providing a bit of visual balance against the similar front-end trim of the Limited. Clearly, nobody needs it.....not everyone would want it (in particular, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who's planning to go off road).....but I myself like (and am happy I purchased) it.

BTW, in response to Subie's comment above, the underguard you see photographed to the left of this post is definitely made from plastic.

#9 ·
I completely echo the sentiments it's a purely cosmetic add-on which dresses up the tail while providing a bit of visual balance against the similar trim front-end trim piece of the Limited.
Maybe it's just my age and short term memory lose but if you can't see both the back and front end at the same time then does it really make any difference if they match? :)

#16 ·
Something tells me the trim is not available outside the USA.

#20 ·
Rear Hitch

If you install 2" aftermarket hitch, you don't have to cut anything, even if you have the bumper guard. I have done it on my OB. Hitch sits flush with the bumper guard. Some people don't want to drill access hole for the aftermarket hitch bolts but you don't really need to do that - you can remove rear bumper and access the bolts/nuts from there.
In my opinon, it's better than Subaru hitch because it's 2" (I think Subaru's is 1 1/2"). You can get one for appx $ 160.00 at any U-Haul and have it installed for appx $ 50.00 (that is what I have done). Then, get wiring plug and harness from e-trailer.com (specifically for Subaru application) and it plugs right into the existing hitch plug (under driver's side read deck/panel behind the rear seat).
As far as bumper guard, I have it and "yes" indeed it's a cosmetic item, same as read deck/gate window deflector (I've removed mine from my 2010 Forester).

#25 ·
Hitch

OBnube:
You are probably right; I only saw it driving behind one and it looked like OEM cut - I did not notice the edge trim (didn't look for it either)... I also noticed that it was only 1 1/2" size. Since I wanted a 2" box, I opted for U-Haul brand. Works (and looks) great on my car! I had U-haul hitches on 2005 Forester and 2010 Forester and used it for many years without a problem! You can't beat the price! I asked several dealers for Subaru OEM hitches and pricing was between $ 400 to $ 600 installed; i.e. that's about twice as much as U-haul hitch. As far as I know, there is just one company that makes aftermarket hitches (check and Google Cequent Group.com and see for yourself) and they sell those under several different names to various vendors (U-haul, Hidden Hitch, etc.etc.). I did some research on these few years back, when I was looking for 2010 VW Tdi Wagon hitch. I bet they also make one for Subaru, like Thule makes their roof top cargo boxes. Also, roof racks for OB, made by JAC Products.

#32 ·
OBnube:
You are probably right; I only saw it driving behind one and it looked like OEM cut - I did not notice the edge trim (didn't look for it either)... I also noticed that it was only 1 1/2" size. Since I wanted a 2" box, I opted for U-Haul brand. Works (and looks) great on my car! I had U-haul hitches on 2005 Forester and 2010 Forester and used it for many years without a problem! You can't beat the price! I asked several dealers for Subaru OEM hitches and pricing was between $ 400 to $ 600 installed; i.e. that's about twice as much as U-haul hitch. As far as I know, there is just one company that makes aftermarket hitches (check and Google Cequent Group.com and see for yourself) and they sell those under several different names to various vendors (U-haul, Hidden Hitch, etc.etc.). I did some research on these few years back, when I was looking for 2010 VW Tdi Wagon hitch. I bet they also make one for Subaru, like Thule makes their roof top cargo boxes. Also, roof racks for OB, made by JAC Products.
So, can I assume that the U-Haul, Hidden Hitch, & Drawtite are exactly the same (except for the label & name)?

Thanks.

#29 ·
Thank you for the info kind sir. I'll see if I can get the underguard added once my limo gets here. I do see the discount if I schedule it out 2 weeks.

I checked the wiring harness from e-trailer and it was the same price as the one bundled with the hitch when it automatically builds the package for you.

#30 ·
The wiring harness/plug may be the same price but U-Haul may charge you extra to install it - that can easily be compared if you first select just hitch and installation and then hitch, wiring harness and installation. Also, if you buy it on e-trailer.com you don't pay sales tax while you will have to pay sales tax on both, the hitch and harness, if you buy both through U-Haul. Just thinking of saving some change....

#37 ·
Hi all,

I just purchased my first Subaru - a 2013 Outback Limited Special Appearance package, and I love it! It is a huge step up from my last car (2006 Prius) and have had it a week. Quick question - I ordered the silver rear bumper underguard when I purchased the car last week, and the dealer installed it today. I brought it home and noticed that it does not sit completely flush with the car in some spots. It does sit flush along the middle part, but comes away from the vehicle a slight bit on the sides. Only separates slightly, but enough to look like an aftermarket part.

Is this normal for other folks who have added this? If so, I won't push it, but otherwise I may take it back to the dealer.

Thanks for your feedback!

#41 ·
Hi all,

ard when I purchased the car last week, and the dealer installed it today. I brought it home and noticed that it does not sit completely flush with the car in some spots. It does sit flush along the middle part, but comes away from the vehicle a slight bit on the sides. Only separates slightly, but enough to look like an aftermarket part.

Is this normal for other folks who have added this? If so, I won't push it, but otherwise I may take it back to the dealer.

Thanks for your feedback!
Mine has the same problem; it's really not a big deal, as the separation is probably little more than perhaps a couple millimeters at the extreme of one end of the molding .....but it's clearly not a perfectly snug fit. I myself don't think the molding itself from the factory is especially exact. I'm usually on the anal side over things like this, but never pushed the issue with my dealer after installation when the vehicle was brand new.

#40 ·
I have to say I REALLY like the look of the underguard. I have a black Outback, so the silver underguard looks great against the all black back of the vehicle. Plus with the silver side mirrors and door handles (SAP), it all looks great together. No need for a trailer hitch so we are good there.

Just concerned about it not sitting flush across the whole underguard. The center sits flush beautifully against the bumper, but the sides gap out a little bit. You don't notice it when looking at it from a small distance, but when you are above it (say, loading the back area) you definitely notice it.

Any feedback from folks who have had this installed? Thanks!

#50 ·
The gaps are due to a crappy install job. I've installed two of them and I can say firsthand that its a bit challenging. If you're not patient it is easy to end up with gaps. Both mine went on with no gaps except at the ends along the lower angle which is by design.

#43 ·
Thanks wvuguy! That is good to know.. I will probably show it to the dealer when I go in for my 7500k service and just see what they say.. I am sure by then I will be used to it anyway... (-: Just good to know I am not the only one, and for me it is worth it as I think it really finishes the back of the Outback nicely... thanks again

#48 ·
Do I need to remove the underguard to remove the bumper fascia?

I am planning on installing a hitch the Subaru OEM way by removing the bumper fascia. I have the rear underguard but it's the dealership who installed it.

For those to installed their own rear underguard, do you know if I can remove the bumper fascia without having to remove the underguard from the fascia itself (i.e. leave the underguard attached to the bumper fascia)? Or would I have to do it in a two-step fashion (i.e. remove underguard and then remove the bumper fascia)?

Thanks

#49 ·
I am planning on installing a hitch the Subaru OEM way by removing the bumper fascia. I have the rear underguard but it's the dealership who installed it.

For those to installed their own rear underguard, do you know if I can remove the bumper fascia without having to remove the underguard from the fascia itself (i.e. leave the underguard attached to the bumper fascia)? Or would I have to do it in a two-step fashion (i.e. remove underguard and then remove the bumper fascia)?

Thanks
IIRC its attached to the bumper cover only so you should be ok.

#51 ·
Subout2013:
I have the access holes cut and no trimming of underguard was requited. I did not remove the rear bumper cover. You also have to trim/cut the left exhaust shield a bit. The hitch covers the access holes and fits into pre-drilled holes in the body frame. I rust proofed cut areas with rust proof spray. I think U-Haul and Hidden Hitch are the same - square frame - but I am not sure about that. Some aftermarket hitches have tubular frame. Some people prefer tubular frame instead of square frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.