Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to put together a complete list of bushings needed for the rear control/trailing arms but I'm confused when it comes which bushings I actually need. Are several of the bushings the same? The parts diagrams list a few part numbers but rockauto makes it seem like this (
) will fit multiple locations. I will go with Whiteline for the front trailing arm and upper outer (adjustable camber kit) but would like to go with OEM style for the rest.

Is this right? Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
2008 Outback Wagon LL Bean Limited 2.5i
838 Posts
I think the front lower arms might be better if they were swapped with a new arm. It will save the effort of pressing in and out the existing bushing at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Outback Wagon LL Bean Limited 2.5i
838 Posts
Trying to put together a complete list of bushings needed for the rear control/trailing arms but I'm confused when it comes which bushings I actually need. Are several of the bushings the same? The parts diagrams list a few part numbers but rockauto makes it seem like this ( View attachment 489911 ) will fit multiple locations. I will go with Whiteline for the front trailing arm and upper outer (adjustable camber kit) but would like to go with OEM style for the rest.

Is this right? Am I missing anything?

Also think about picking up a new set of bolts for the rear lower control arm. The bolt may have seized inside the bushing, which means you may have to cut the bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
@go_cougs did you get this sorted? Faced with the same question and after considerable googling it's still not clear to me where the BECK/ARNLEY 1017953 will actually fit. Subaru diagrams only show two bushings using the same part number while the rest appear to be unique...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@go_cougs did you get this sorted? Faced with the same question and after considerable googling it's still not clear to me where the BECK/ARNLEY 1017953 will actually fit. Subaru diagrams only show two bushings using the same part number while the rest appear to be unique...
I ended up just going with poly bushings. So I ordered the following:

Whiteline W63398 Rear Trailing Arm Bushing:
Whiteline KCA399 Rear Control Arm Bushing Kit:
Energy Suspension Rear Control Arm Bushing Set:

You can get away with just using the energy kit but the trailing arm bushings might be hard to press in since they aren't two-piece like the white line. The KCA399 bushings are also not required but I went ahead and got them anyways. I bought a 12ton shop floor press from harbor freight and was able to press all the old bushings out (except the trailing arm, you need to burn and cut that out) using a few different rental tool kits from Autozone, just look at what they have and rent anything that might look like it will help.

·
Registered
2006 Legacy Outback 2.5i Limited AT. Newbaru is yet to be officially named...
49 Posts
23 piece rental balljoint press from advance auto was my tool of choice for the bushing swap. Trailing arm was actually the easiest to press out. A diverse socket set and harbor freight 3 arm puller helped round out the toolkit. I pressed in OEM bushings. Happy with the result.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts