Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Silver 2012 Outback 2.5i
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I broke the small hook that attaches to the floor of the rear cargo so you can hook it out of your way when you access the spare tire compartment. Subaru dealership here wants over $20 for the whole assembly not just the hook. Local wrecking yards don't have any Gen 4 outbacks. So I'm trying to figure out did older outbacks also have the same hook. And if I need to find it online, does anyone know what Subaru actually calls it?

·
Registered
'99 Outback, '05 Outback, '15 Legacy, & Soon '18 Outback
38 Posts
Ok, so I broke the small hook that attaches to the floor of the rear cargo so you can hook it out of your way when you access the spare tire compartment. Subaru dealership here wants over $20 for the whole assembly not just the hook. Local wrecking yards don't have any Gen 4 outbacks. So I'm trying to figure out did older outbacks also have the same hook. And if I need to find it online, does anyone know what Subaru actually calls it?
Well, it's just a hook. I'm sure you can find another hook that can fill the bill for a lot less then $20.Then just tie the line holding the cargo floor to the hook. I'm thinking there are lots of options. Or you could go to the junk yard and harvest a similar hook from an old wreck. Seem you have lots of easy and cheap ways to go! :smile2:

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,156 Posts
I glued mine with Araldite after it snapped in half. Has been used a number of times since and still holding together.

·
Registered
Silver 2012 Outback 2.5i
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or you could go to the junk yard and harvest a similar hook from an old wreck. Seem you have lots of easy and cheap ways to go! :smile2:
Yes. Except I'm having trouble finding Gen4s in th local junkyards. I have thought of looking for a similar hook in craft stores.

·
Registered
Silver 2012 Outback 2.5i
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I glued mine with Araldite after it snapped in half. Has been used a number of times since and still holding together.
Interesting. I thought of using superglue but not sure it would hold up. Never heard of Araldite.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,156 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,026 Posts
I would try a metal hook from a plastic coat hanger; Like tbe ones department stores use, not the flimsy things from the dry cleaners.

Break the metal hook out of the plastic and fasten the tether to it. Most designs will have some sort of protuberance near the base of the hook that should be adequate to retain the tether..

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,799 Posts

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
116 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,809 Posts
Get a lot of flats? If not, use your snow brush.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
Does the hook change that much from generation to generation?
From the post above: This product fits 124 vehicle variants.
Subaru: 3 models, 124 variants between 2005 and 2014.

The OP could use the hook from any 2005-2009 (3rd generation) Outback if they have any of those years in his local junk yard. Um, I mean auto recycling center.

·
Registered
2013 SAP Outback Limited
5 Posts
I know this is an old post but figured this might help someone with a broken hook. I found these on eBay for $1.99 each. This is a super strong plastic hook that works great as a replacement.

20E82CD4-668A-4F0A-BCA6-4C967D8AEF23.jpeg 3D5AB2F1-6461-4B46-8769-97AA4223A34C.jpeg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts