Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '17 Outback Touring and it came with the rear cargo liner. This thing must be made of Teflon as no matter what is place on it it slides with ease. Has anyone come up with a solution to use this thing or is it better to ditch it and get something better?

Thanks,

~Tony

·
Registered
Outback 2018 2.5i Premium
167 Posts
Carpet

I had two new, thin, stiff, cheap household floor mats handy. Not rubber-backed but a thin no-slip backing. They were about 2 x 3 foot. Just laying on top of plastic cargo cover right now but already better. I may tape them together and trim to fit. I have occasionally seen similar floor mats in larger sizes. I do not need a waterproof cargo mat so may remove the Subaru mat and just go with a nice thin stiff carpet. Much easier to pull out and sweep off any dirt. And carpet should be quieter.

2018 2.5 Premium

·
Registered
187 Posts
I bought a couple of trunk organizers and clipped them together for four compartments that are easy to fold up if I need to put something big back there.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
444 Posts
I use a couple synthetic carpet remnants with a Subaru trunk organizer. I picked up a few zippered pouches from a military surplus store to put tools and other gear to keep things neat. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
204 Posts
Weird; the rear cargo mat in my 2016 is very tacky...uh, I mean slip-resistant. In fact, it can be annoying at times when I try to slide items in. I wonder if the materials changed or the mats were sourced from different suppliers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I may have to try the cargo net. Not sure what this cargo liner is made of, but it's incredibly slick. The one that is in my FJ Cruiser is more of a natural rubber and is tacky and things don't slide around on it. The other option I was thinking about was a rubber stall mat from Tractor Supply that is 3'x4' and trim it to fit.

~Tony

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,382 Posts
Since I only have a Gen4, I cannot speak to the material the mat in your car may be made of, but I will share that when I bought my pre-owned OB, the dealer prep had soaked the cargo mat with rubber/vinyl protectant. It looked nice, dark and shiny but was absurdly slippery as one can imagine. It took several cleanings (degreaser, scrubbing, etc) and time to get it where it is no longer like ice. But it is by no means "tacky".
Not stating that is the case with your mat, but if the Gen5 mat is not too different, then a bit of armorall goes a long way (to being a nuisance).

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
685 Posts
Weird; the rear cargo mat in my 2016 is very tacky...uh, I mean slip-resistant. In fact, it can be annoying at times when I try to slide items in. I wonder if the materials changed or the mats were sourced from different suppliers.
So is my '17. It's the texture, I think, because the back side is smooth and slides easily.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
449 Posts

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts