Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for days and have read LOTS of posts about dash cam installs/reviews etc. and never found anything to help me decide where to locate the rear mount. Any pics I saw of the rear mount location were not on 2020's and the layout of the defroster lines were different. In older models there are areas with no lines but it seems I have no spot where there are no lines. Some of them seem to have no continuity, which is quite strange.

If anyone has installed a rear cam in 2020 OB or later did you simply attach the mount on the glass without concern for the lines, or did you find another spot other than the glass? If it matters, I've ordered the Viofo A129 Pro Dual 4K 2 Channel model.
Thanks.
P.S wondering whether or not to document this install and post or forget that because it's been documented to death already.

·
Premium Member
2022 Grey Outback Premium
249 Posts
I have a 22. I put my rear cam between 2 lines. Not that I think it would have mattered, but still. I think I even managed to get it so that the sticky part is between 2 lines and the camera does not have a line running thru it.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT in Autumn Green
266 Posts
I bought that one too. Not planning to install it myself, so I'm not going to suggest I need to see photos of the whole job, but I'd be curious to see where you end up installing both cams.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should have added that if anyone could post a quick pic of the location, that would be most appreciated. 🙏 🙏

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited
42 Posts
I've been searching for days and have read LOTS of posts about dash cam installs/reviews etc. and never found anything to help me decide where to locate the rear mount. Any pics I saw of the rear mount location were not on 2020's and the layout of the defroster lines were different. In older models there are areas with no lines but it seems I have no spot where there are no lines. Some of them seem to have no continuity, which is quite strange.

If anyone has installed a rear cam in 2020 OB or later did you simply attach the mount on the glass without concern for the lines, or did you find another spot other than the glass? If it matters, I've ordered the Viofo A129 Pro Dual 4K 2 Channel model.
Thanks.
P.S wondering whether or not to document this install and post or forget that because it's been documented to death already.
Agree that there are several dash cam installation videos out there on YouTube, but not as many as you'd think when it comes to the 19+ model year Outbacks. And when it comes to the EyeSight system, there are a few out there, but most seem to show how to wire the dash cam into the overhead console (and even those were, if memory serves, Foresters, not Outbacks).

Where most YT videos fall down (IMHO) is when it comes to running the rear camera cable front the front to the rear. The videos I've watches always seem to "skip" a certain step (e.g. running the rear camera cable over the front door...maybe thru the B pillar...but all of a sudden it's ready to run thru the grommet on the tailgate).

I'd encourage you to document your install, as I really think the later model OB''s aren't very well represented in the install videos I've seen.

I just received my Blackvue DR-750X-2CH Plus dash cam system today, and plan on installing it on Saturday (3 days from now).. So yes, I've looked at tons of install videos, and can confidently say later model OBs don't have a lot of videos on this subject.

FWIW, I plan on installing the rear camera between the defroster lines as someone else has already stated. For the front camera, I was going to get a Blendview mirror mount to help avoid any Eyesight issues, but I've seen several videos with the front cam put right behind the mirror, so I elected to go that way and save the $100 Blendview mount cost. (For me, the biggest potential "hiccup" will probably be the EyeSight system and/or the auto dimming rear view mirror).

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,476 Posts
(For me, the biggest potential "hiccup" will probably be the EyeSight system and/or the auto dimming rear view mirror)
I've posted my picture in several other dashcam threads, it's possible to mount behind (or is that in front of?) the mirror and not interfere with either the light sensor or the Eyesight cameras.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@mde8965 perhaps I should have waited to see how large the mount is. I did look at the defroster lines on my 2020 and could not imagine being able to get in between the defroster lines so thanks for those pics. I also considered the plastic panel and examined it for stability. Was not sure if there would be any flexing or vibration of that piece, which would degrade the video if it does. Only thing is, the unit is on back order (forget when - maybe 07/26) so I've got a bit of a wait.

·
Premium Member
2022 Wilderness
199 Posts
I mounted mine on the plastic frame that surrounds the glass. So the defrost lines are not an issue. It also means I can clean the back glass without having to worry about knocking the camera off.

·
Registered
2021 Crystal White Onyx XT
60 Posts
I mounted mine on the plastic frame that surrounds the glass. So the defrost lines are not an issue. It also means I can clean the back glass without having to worry about knocking the camera off.
View attachment 516930
This is how I would have mounted mine had I thought of it when I did my install. I will move mine to this trim piece if mine ever comes off the glass by accident or if it lets loose on it’s own.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@TheHozOpp1 have you reviewed any rear cam video? When I considered that, I had a slight concern about shaky video because of vibrating or shifting trim.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited
42 Posts
I've posted my picture in several other dashcam threads, it's possible to mount behind (or is that in front of?) the mirror and not interfere with either the light sensor or the Eyesight cameras.
View attachment 516897
That's exactly how I intend to install my Blackview dash cam in a couple of days. I'll try to get it up as close to the mirror mount as possible, and (perhaps) "cheat" a bit towards the drivers side to prevent blocking the auto dimming mirror sensor.

·
Premium Member
2022 Wilderness
199 Posts
@TheHozOpp1 have you reviewed any rear cam video? When I considered that, I had a slight concern about shaky video because of vibrating or shifting trim.
I have reviewed footage. It’s perfectly fine. There is no vibration.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your reply!
Now I just have to wait for the item to be back in stock and be delivered. :cry:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts