Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 LL Bean H6. The rear differential bushings are shot and I have been dealing with the "clunk" that everyone has referred to in other threads when the car is put into reverse. It also causes a rumbling sound when turning sharply while moving slow. Now, my car has a hard time shifting into drive. It seems like it barely eases into drive and when it does engage it has a similar "clunk". Once the transmission has actually engaged the car drives great. Shifts fine and is still strong, leading me to believe that it is not actually a slipping tranny... I hope.

Can the rear diff bushings cause this? Maybe moving so much that it is causing the drive train to bind-up? I'm just guessing and hoping at this point.

Any help is appreciated! I drive A LOT and do not want to be stranded with a bum transmission.

·
Registered
16,312 Posts
Have you actually had the differential mounting bushings examined to confirm they are bad, or are you basing this on what you've read here?

I doubt bad bushings on the differential will affect transmission shifting. But your description
It also causes a rumbling sound when turning sharply while moving slow.
is a common symptom caused by drive train "torque bind". This occurs when the AWD transfer mechanism is locked up when it shouldn't be, for example, when making tight turns. It can also cause clunking of the drive train when changing gears (e.g. D to N to R), especially if the tires aren't all the same circumference.

Do a search here for "torque bind". There's lots of posts about this, with symptoms, causes, and suggestions for correction. See if that seems relevant.

·
Registered
16,970 Posts
there are 'helper' pieces for those bushings as well as replacements. check whiteline, prothane, kartboy etc. Also, some folks use a product called 3M WindoWeld to create their own bushings. you might search for that.

as mentioned above, torque bind can often cause jerking/rumbling in tight turns on dry pavemwnt. one test would be to use the FWD fuse in the box under the hood.

have you looked at the diff or other bushings?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I have been in the process of moving. I know the rear diff bushings are bad. I've crawled under and have looked. I will research torque bind as well. I am replacing the bushings tonight. Should be a hoot...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
ineffablelove4ever
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing