Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, I've been parting out my 2000 Outback. I've cut up the shell and scrapped it but kept as much of the sell able stuff as I can. However, I still have the rear suspension stuff. I can't cut through the bolts that mount it to the remains of the body, I can't cut through the suspension parts without flat out burning through blades for the sawzall. The whole idea I had was to salvage the rear diff. Now I am wondering if it is even worth the effort.

So, how much interest is there out there as far as rear diffs for these subies? I had the five speed manual, so the diff is naturally matched to it. Saved the five speed, and related parts so I could sell that, but the diff is proving to be too much trouble. All the bolts are either so badly rusted that I can't break em, or they are rounding off. Before I just scrap it I want to know if there is even interest in the diff or if it is even worth saving. SO is it worth saving?

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,946 Posts
Yes, acetylene/oxygen torch, can be acquired more cheaply than many think. Tough to justify for a one-time part-out, but valuable even if just maintaining somewhat older rust-belt cars.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts
+1 an Oxy/Acetylene setup is invaluable when working on cars, though we refer to it as the hot wrench.

Heat and quench rusted bolts
Removing stubborn bushings (outdoors)
cutting off rusted bolts
the list goes on

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, at this time it is a one time part out. So it doesn't make much sense to get one quite yet. When I get my own place that is one of the things on my list to get for my own garage.

Question remains though, is the diff worth saving?

·
Registered
02 OBW
131 Posts
It wasn't a Limited Outback or have the Cold Weather Pack. did it?

I believe in 2000 those are the only trim levels that had a rear LSD. If it is then maybe it's worth keeping. If it's just the standard rear diff I don't think it's worth saving. I don't recall reading many threads where the rears fail...

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
Couldn't one rent a torch? Seems to me I've seen them at equipment rental places.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It wasn't a Limited Outback or have the Cold Weather Pack. did it?

I believe in 2000 those are the only trim levels that had a rear LSD. If it is then maybe it's worth keeping. If it's just the standard rear diff I don't think it's worth saving. I don't recall reading many threads where the rears fail...
The car did have the cold weather pack. But it wasn't a limited. I guess I am wondering if it is worth fighting everything (even with a torch it is a fight) just to save the diff. Only advantage to keeping it I see is the gearing is matched to the five speed manual. Could sell the whole thing as a swap kit, sans crossmembers.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts
You could probably rent a torch, but I'm not sure what they would do for the gas bottles. ie: how much do they charge per pound of gas used.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it separated, if people want, I can sell the diff and trans together. If someone is looking for a swap, I can include pedals, slave, a few other things. some of the bolts are included, some are not. Couldn't salvage everything. Shipping is not worth it, I've tried for someone, it was cheaper to meet somewhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts