Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i - 5 speed - 191K
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the rear control arms are done I need to tackle the Rear Differential Bushings. Photo of the bad ones is attached. The rubber is torn along the sides. The differential moves freely. Hope it's easier than the control arms. I already ordered new mounting studs from Subaru.

I'm listening if anyone has any DO's or DONT's. Going with Whiteline Poly Bushings.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
596 Posts
A wire brush and PB Blaster several times before you plan to change.

Well, you'll have the studs when the old ones pop, maybe you'll get lucky. Mine looked pretty bad and with repeated applications of PB Blaster they came off way easier than I'd expected!

The sawzall method looks like the best way to go. I used the inserts from Whiteline since the rubber wasn't in such bad condition. I'm pleased with them so far.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill let the studs break. I want to get the new ones installed.

Has anyone tried to use a home made tool to remove the bushings? Any results?

Has anyone tried to press in the new bushings without removing the rear cradle? Any results?

I would like any horror stories before I start.

·
Registered
2005 Outback H6 3.0 LL Bean
1,203 Posts
I should probably do these on my car too, but I'm tempted to just try filling them with windshield urethane first. That stuff has worked well for me on similar bushings in the past.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm OCD so I feel compelled to replace the old with new.

Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
2005 Outback H6 3.0 LL Bean
1,203 Posts
Sure seems to stress them a lot. I don't know whether it causes permanent damage, but I cringe a little when I see how much they stretch when I do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts