Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Impreza OBS, 2.2 L SOHC, Blue and Silver
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where to get a rear differential for a 1997 Ipreza Outback Sport, if so, how much?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
yep - that's a great site.
you can also check on forums like here and USMB - there are classified sections with people parting out cars.

Keep in mind rear differential failure is almost unheard of in Subaru's. I've never actually seen it happen and you would be hard pressed to search 10's of thousands of forum owners to find it either. Of course, if it leaked and ran out of oil it's dead.

If you have torque bind then it's likely your transfer clutches or Duty C Solenoid (automatic trans) or the Center differential (if it's a manual trans). This often gets mis-diagnosed by mechanics as a failing rear differential.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
FYI: i just shipped one from VA to CA and the UPS cost was $78. the USPS was a little less. mine weighed 52 lbs shipped.

but gary's right, they almost never fail. torque bind caused by a bad center diff or bad rear wheel bearings making noise are the usual causes of problems that are first identified as a bad rear diff. and bad wheel bearings and center diffs are WAY WAY WAY more common than a bad rear diff.

·
Registered
1997 Impreza OBS, 2.2 L SOHC, Blue and Silver
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well then, I guess my outback is special then because it was rear differential failure, we opened it up and there were teeth from the gears that were totally stripped or broken off

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,966 Posts
It's like my front pinion bearing failure- not one of the more common failures, but anything can break.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Well then, I guess my outback is special then because it was rear differential failure, we opened it up and there were teeth from the gears that were totally stripped or broken off
copy that. most of the time a mechanic says rear diff it's wrong, so just checking. and the good news that it's extremely rare and they easily last the life of a vehicle or two 99% of the time, so this is one case not worth new prices practically speaking.

of the rare cases almost all of them were caused...like the oil was never changed, ran low, got water in it, or the vehicle had torque bind symptoms which likely stressed the gears...etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.