Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle: Kaylee, in my signature.

Problem: Passenger rear door unlocks just fine. Driver's control and OEM keyfob both unlock it with no issues. But, it has to be locked manually. There is a click sound from the door but nothing happens. The switch flips just fine by hand on that door.

The car has done this since before we got it back in 2008, and the previous owner said it had been that way since about 2005.

Any thoughts? Not a huge issue, but I figure I might as well look into it one of these days.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
I believe it is the door lock actuator at fault. When I bought my '06 Forester the drivers front door would unlock with the key fob but never lock only manually. Now the passenger front door is acting up... surprisingly I have had no problems with the the Outback.. its about a $90 part, well at least for the Forester..

·
Registered
18,421 Posts
Yes, the actuator could be the problem -- there have been several cases reported here, and here's a DIY with good pics: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums.../38841-rear-door-power-lock-failed-fixed.html.

Another reported problem was some sticky stuff had gotten onto the linkage, preventing it from moving properly. See, for example: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums.../40768-rear-power-locks-do-not-like-cold.html

The lock actuator is a small DC motor that is run in one direction or the other to move the lock linkage into the locked, or unlocked, position. The power to the motor is on for only about 2 seconds (there's a timer in the keyless entry control module). If the linkage is not free to move, it could prevent the actuator from working properly.

Let us know what you find . . .

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,346 Posts
Those are usually easy to replace, once you get at them. You can test the wiring first just to make sure you don't have a short but that would usually cause problems with locking and unlocking.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Plain OM, those were the threads I was looking for earlier. My Google fu had failed me.

Project for next weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts