Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 H6 Outback auto

Rear drivers side was *really* low, tire was rubbing lightly until we shifted some weight more to the other side. It did come back up a little as we took weight out of the car. 2 adults and some gear in the back - 500 pounds maybe. And now is up a bit (not sure if it's normal or not) now that it's unloaded.

The rear struts are new KYB GR-2's. I didn't replace the springs as it seemed many folks don't.

Guess it looks like I should have replaced the rear springs too?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,669 Posts
seems more like a broken spring or strut perch or ????

have you inspected under there?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i crawled under there and nothing looks abnormal, it just sits like on the tire when loaded. thought for sure something would be obvious with it sitting slammed to the ground like that. returns just fine.

guess i'll order some new springs, hopefully longer/stiffer, and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,669 Posts
Subaru Baja

King

or Rallitek ?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where does one order Baja springs?
Subaru dealer. subaruparts.com had them yesterday for only $40 and change each, that's where i got mine.

tons of threads about struts springs for 00-04 outbacks on the forum here.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 3.0R (LLGreen)
82 Posts
Check your endlinks for preload issues. I have same issue and when I take off rear endlink in question height returns to normal. Looking into replacements. Seems grease is drying up and causing locking issues. Good luck.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check your endlinks for preload issues. I have same issue and when I take off rear endlink in question height returns to normal. Looking into replacements. Seems grease is drying up and causing locking issues. Good luck.
really - endlinks can cause the entire rear to sag like that?

installing the new springs today...the old spring does not appear to have any problems so kind of scratching my head, we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
906 Posts
Struts are not what actually hold the car up, the springs do, they just provide a locating point for the spring and cancel out spring oscillation, that why some people call them dampers. if you didn't have them your car would bounce its way to ablivion.

So I say you have a saggy rear coil on that side.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I say you have a saggy rear coil on that side.
i hope so, i just installed a new spring (outside in a hurricane) so we'll see. car is definitely like WAAAY higher, but i installed stiffer springs so that's part of it and i assume it'll settle somewhat.

now i'll have to get new front struts and springs as crazy high as the rear sits now, my wife is going to crack up laughing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.